FJ40 hardtop interchange- What years fit what? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys.

I have a late 1975 model FJ40 with the ambulance doors.

The hardtop fiberglass top is in great shape. The sides, well, not so much.

I found a local guy selling a hardtop because his fiberglass top is busted, so I can get the sides off of his (which I need)

Tell me..

The years prior to 75, when they had the lift gate and two small tub mounted half doors... Do these tops intercahnge wit hthe later tops using the ambulance doors? By chance, did Toyota use the same hinge points from the lift version tops to the ambulance doors?

In other words, will a hard top with a lift gate (pre 75) fit a landcruiser with ambulance doors? were there any other diffrences between the tops?

While I am on the subject of interchance,, what about front doors? Do earlier doors from a pre 1975 model fit the later year hardtops?

Same Spot

I'm in the same spot with the top interchange stuff.
Review BikerSmurf's threads carefully, all the info is there.
I'm currently finishing a '77 top that will go on a '74 tub with a lift gate and maybe tail gate off of a '72 FST. Looks like it will all bolt up. might have to fill some hinge holes and maybe add some bottom ones for the tailgate.
I have a lot of ambo door stuff if you're looking for anything, likely have 3 sets of ambi doors I'm not going to use.

The years prior to 75, when they had the lift gate and two small tub mounted half doors... Do these tops intercahnge wit hthe later tops using the ambulance doors? By chance, did Toyota use the same hinge points from the lift version tops to the ambulance doors?

While I am on the subject of interchance,, what about front doors? Do earlier doors from a pre 1975 model fit the later year hardtops?

Hinge location will be different. The doors from pre 75 will work but the striker will be diiferent and require work. Just don't get bug catcher doors. You will have more issues with those.

s.

71-84 sides are interchangeable. Obviously, you'll need to bolt ambulance doors on somehow.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...ling-81-hardtop-onto-my-74-keeping-hatch.html

Hard top side from mid 65 on will work. I know some think the sides around 74 angled in a little but my 68 FJ40 has the angle sides. Even my 65 FJ45LP-B with the non bug catcher vent window is angle on the side and back. The early corrugated tops with bug catcher vent windows were straight along the sides and back, making it a little larger. Those the fiberglass top is more domed.

I'm in the same spot with the top interchange stuff.
Review BikerSmurf's threads carefully, all the info is there.
I'm currently finishing a '77 top that will go on a '74 tub with a lift gate and maybe tail gate off of a '72 FST. Looks like it will all bolt up. might have to fill some hinge holes and maybe add some bottom ones for the tailgate.
I have a lot of ambo door stuff if you're looking for anything, likely have 3 sets of ambi doors I'm not going to use.

While the tailgates are cool it does make excess into the back more difficult for passenger's. Barn doors are easier. Ambulance doors offer the best excess since passenger's can let themshelves out. The other require the spare tire being opened first. THe hatch has a handle inside but you can't open the door.:confused:

The hardtops are interchangeable, bot may not be 100% bolt-on. In some cases you need to do some work.

Living in the Past knows his stuff. Around 71ish, the hardtop window size and seal changed.

But it looks like mid 65-84 would fit.

Living in the Past knows his stuff. Around 71ish, the hardtop window size and seal changed.

But it looks like mid 65-84 would fit.

I thought the hard top sides changed with the 72 model start in 71. The thread on making side sliding window brought up that the windows and weatherstripping changed but the sides remained the same. The key in the weatherstripping like one used on the windshield was gone and glass was flush with sides. I have never checked this out but it does make sense. Lots of information here on Mud.
:cheers:

So, the non-vent side window ('76 ?) hard top sides will work fine with my '77/78 amby doors ? If so, then I should be able to use Specter's sliding side windows in the future ?
The 40 currently has the older ('73 ?) hatch style top on it including a sunroof cut into the glass section in the front , which of course leaks . I have a nice condition later model top/sides/doors so that's the current plan ....
Sarge

I got a problem

I am in the process of restoring a 1984 FJ40 military model.
i am putting a hard top on it and i just realized that the back end of the tub is different from the civilian models.
Has anyone ever run into this probelm?

I do not believe Toyota made a military model that was market around the world. Post some pictures of what you have. Could have been something special Toyota did for the Pakistan Military or been done in country. I do believe I read somewhere Pakistan was a assembling country like Brazil years ago.

Reviving…quick question for door and hard top compatibility.
I am wanting to put a 74 windshield and hard top on a 76 body with 76 front doors. I am not worried about the rear lift and barn doors. My question is about the fitment of a 74 windshield and hard top with 76 hard doors. Anybody done this mix and what did you run into? Was there big gaps, too tight of fitment, etc...
Thanks in advance.

The 74 windshield and 74 hardtop will fit fine with the front 76 doors. The 74 hatch and lower doors should also fit with your 76 tub. Your ambulance doors can fit with the hardtop with a little work. The header bar across the top of the ambulance doors is different.

I've got pics of the different hardtops in various threads, send me a pm if there's something in particular you need to find more info about, and I can point you in the right direction.

I'm new to the forum but desperate to find more information about my recently acquired 64 fj40. My grandfather passed and left me the vehicle but it has no top or doors (of any kind). I've searched up and down here and elsewhere to find out more information on model year compatability. i have a 1964 fj40 and have a 1974 fj40 that i've located and trying to determine if figment is possible. Any direction aside from "use the search" function would be very much appreciated as i'm trying to keep the vehicle in the family. Oh and yes I know the sides of the 64 and earlier top are corrugated... finding true original is proving to be impossible at this point. :(

for the most part the 74 stuff will fit the 64

Tojo64, welcome to mud.

I've seen coragated tops for sale a few times so they do come up. The engine oiling system changed in 74, but other than that most parts are interchangeable. Hardtop sides aren't interchangeable from what I've read... Never had a 64 though.

Bikersmurf... thanks a lot for the welcoming. I'm part of tacomaworld as well and it seems toyota owners across the board are loyal and willing to help each other out so much! I've had a build thread for my Tacoma and 85 4x4 pickup... so it only makes sense to continue the trend here with my 64'. It's going to be the slowest build thread yet for me. But the process is the fun part.

Do you see more parts on here vs. other forums/websites? I get on ebay and craigslist daily, but haven't investigated mud classifieds too much.

IMG_3699.JPG

IMG_3756.JPG

Alright guys no formal build thread yet but figured i'd share what i have so far. Here are some pics for fun. After pulling the valve covers and finding a crack in the block i've decided to go with building a more mod/daily driver/capable rig than resto. I've got a sec chevy torn down in my garage and have an sm420 on its way. Tomorrow i'm going to go look at what appears to be a 73-4 top and sides (has ambulance doors). I'm thinking of just buying it, bringing it home and seeing what that gives me. I'm going to be doing a lot of metal work as is so i'm not worried if i need to do a little more, but if the fitment isn't even close at lease i'll have my answer… i can always resell the top/sides if its not going to work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom