FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hecrod

40 & 930 Fanatic...
Threads
Website
fj40cruisers.tumblr.com
So here's the idea... originated by @sggoat, since signed on to by several others:

We will create an FJ40 cross-country expedition--one that has Legs running from North to South, East to West and diagonally across the USA (and maybe Canada and Mexico as well?). This expedition will be of a relay format, with some relay portions completed by individuals, and others by groups. We also hope it becomes ever-green, with legs kicking off from time-to-time in years to come!

Why do this??? Everyone will have their own reasons, but would you agree that this would be an excellent way to see our Country, through the eyes of others, connected through our beautiful 40's? We would have the opportunity to actually "meet" many of those who we've "known" in this Forum for years. If it causes one or two of you to finish long standing projects, then all the better!;)

What would be your reason??? post away!

Some nuances we're already thinking about:
  1. Pictures - we must have pictures!!! Of people and 40's involved... as well as places visited of course. You would post the pictures here...
  2. Stories - who's talking to you about your 40? How's the 40 running? What event will you attend? Who will you meet? What have you learned in the trip? What would you like for us to know about your "neck in the woods"? Maybe you have a "Rustbucket" in you??? :bounce:
  3. Baton - some trinket (to be agreed upon by the members of "The Leg") will be passed on from the originator of the Leg through its end. A Jerry Can? Bezel? Family dog? (just kidding) A six pack of local beer? It would be your call! :cheers:
  4. What else? Post here and I'll update this original post as needed...

How will we determine the Legs? Let's suppose you are willing to travel up to 200 miles (each way) to "pass the baton" to someone else... we would add your name to the map below with a circle around it, demarcating the 200 miles, or whatever distance you are willing to cover. The size of the circle would of course be adjusted to the distance you are willing to travel. I will make the circle a little smaller than the actual agreed-upon miles to accommodate for the fact that no trip will be on a straight line... and no road goes on a straight line!

PROCESS:
  • If you want to join, post here with your location and distance you are willing to travel. I will post the updated map at least once a week.
  • As soon as "a connection" or Leg is made, in whatever direction it is made, the Expedition is on! Multiple legs going on at the same time is a clear possibility (it may be wishful thinking, but...)
  • To make it more manageable, those participating in the leg will have to coordinate between themselves... doing so through this thread would be great! Posting changes / upgrades you make to your rig in preparation for this trip would be even better!!!
  • I would say the leg doesn't have to be finished at once... someone could "get the baton" and wait for a few days/weeks before passing it to someone else. This would make it much easier to coordinate...

This is the map as it stands today (circles are 300 miles in diameter on a straight line, or 150 mile radius). A circle like this would result in ~400 miles of total travel... an easy weekend trip... with plenty of time to identify and enjoy the sights, and to take plenty of pictures to share with the rest of us! To those whose names are listed, please confirm you are in fact signing off for this distance or if it should be updated...

upload_2016-8-12_16-20-22.png

We already have some possibilities right??? Florida Keys to New England... or to Northern California... we just need for a few more people, in the right spots, to sign up!!!

The current list (please confirm location and distance willing to travel):

@sggoat - FL
@hecrod - Boston
@brian - Eastern PA
@GA Architect - Northern GA
@ginmtb - Northern CA
@jetranger - Las Vegas
@Captn Conch - FL
@iptman - Northern VA
@pngunme - Las Vegas
@POTATO LAUNCHER - TX / NM / CO
@1911 - TX / NM / CO​

THE ACTION: If you are interested, name your location and the total distance you are willing to travel. We'll take it from there!

Current schedule as of 11SEP16

upload_2016-9-11_11-14-10.png

Last edited:
I'm definitely in; thanks for kicking it off Hector.

The nearest town to me is Weatherford, TX. Can give you lat/long coordinates if you wish.

I am willing to go 500 miles; more than that depending on the time of year and my work load.

yes
fall in the northeast is a beautiful time of the year.

prep work?
probably change the oil and spark plugs, and check the air in the tires.

mar16.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in! Thanks for getting this started! I was playing around with Google maps and plotted a route if it were to start in Seattle.

image.png

Approximate distances:

Seattle – Portland – 175 miles

Portland – Eugene – 115 miles

Eugene – Medford – 170 miles

Medford – Redding – 150 miles

Redding – Danville – 210 miles

Danville – San Luis Obispo – 225 miles (my leg)

San Luis Obispo – Los Angeles – 190 miles

Los Angeles – Barstow – 115 miles

Barstow – Las Vegas – 160 miles

All depends in timing... 44 is 'down' right now... I hope to have her operational again in a week...

Danny is 'down' right now... Seeing a spine surgeon on Monday...

Please change pngunme to allan man, for now... I'll post here when I am again available, to run with @jetranger and @allan man.

At one time there was Elsie the Armadillo from the TLCA that made trips to different parts of the USA... How about a stuffed animal of some sort...

You could just 'have' the item for a time as well and document his/it's travels in your life

I travel regularly between Albany NY and Wells ME ...165miles... But... As said before ... Timing

Anybody else have fond memories of Elsie the Armadillo ?

So here's the idea... originated by @sggoat, since signed on to by several others:

We will create an FJ40 cross-country expedition--one that has Legs running from North to South, East to West and diagonally across the USA (and maybe Canada and Mexico as well?). This expedition will be of a relay format, with some relay portions completed by individuals, and others by groups. We also hope it becomes ever-green, with legs kicking off from time-to-time in years to come!

Why do this??? Everyone will have their own reasons, but would you agree that this would be an excellent way to see our Country, through the eyes of others, connected through our beautiful 40's? We would have the opportunity to actually "meet" many of those who we've "known" in this Forum for years. If it causes one or two of you to finish long standing projects, then all the better!;)

What would be your reason??? post away!

Some nuances we're already thinking about:
  1. Pictures - we must have pictures!!! Of people and 40's involved... as well as places visited of course. You would post the pictures here...
  2. Stories - who's talking to you about your 40? How's the 40 running? What event will you attend? Who will you meet? What have you learned in the trip? What would you like for us to know about your "neck in the woods"? Maybe you have a "Rustbucket" in you??? :bounce:
  3. Baton - some trinket (to be agreed upon by the members of "The Leg") will be passed on from the originator of the Leg through its end. A Jerry Can? Bezel? Family dog? (just kidding) A six pack of local beer? It would be your call! :cheers:
  4. What else? Post here and I'll update this original post as needed...

How will we determine the Legs? Let's suppose you are willing to travel up to 200 miles (each way) to "pass the baton" to someone else... we would add your name to the map below with a circle around it, demarcating the 200 miles, or whatever distance you are willing to cover. The size of the circle would of course be adjusted to the distance you are willing to travel. I will make the circle a little smaller than the actual agreed-upon miles to accommodate for the fact that no trip will be on a straight line... and no road goes on a straight line!

PROCESS:
  • If you want to join, post here with your location and distance you are willing to travel. I will post the updated map at least once a week.
  • As soon as "a connection" or Leg is made, in whatever direction it is made, the Expedition is on! Multiple legs going on at the same time is a clear possibility (it may be wishful thinking, but...)
  • To make it more manageable, those participating in the leg will have to coordinate between themselves... doing so through this thread would be great! Posting changes / upgrades you make to your rig in preparation for this trip would be even better!!!
  • I would say the leg doesn't have to be finished at once... someone could "get the baton" and wait for a few days/weeks before passing it to someone else. This would make it much easier to coordinate...

This is the map as it stands today (circles are 300 miles in diameter on a straight line, or 150 mile radius). A circle like this would result in ~400 miles of total travel... an easy weekend trip... with plenty of time to identify and enjoy the sights, and to take plenty of pictures to share with the rest of us! To those whose names are listed, please confirm you are in fact signing off for this distance or if it should be updated...

View attachment 1305537

We already have some possibilities right??? Florida Keys to New England... or to Northern California... we just need for a few more people, in the right spots, to sign up!!!

The current list (please confirm location and distance willing to travel):

@sggoat - FL
@hecrod - Boston
@brian - Eastern PA
@GA Architect - Northern GA
@ginmtb - Northern CA
@jetranger - Las Vegas
@Captn Conch - FL
@iptman - Northern VA
@pngunme - Las Vegas
@POTATO LAUNCHER - TX / NM / CO
@1911 - TX / NM / CO​

THE ACTION: If you are interested, name your location and the total distance you are willing to travel. We'll take it from there!
I think Capt. Conch and I (plus maybe a couple of others yet to be named) would be able to make it to GA Archts neck of the woods-little more than the 2-300 mi radius(depends on how many cans of fuel we can carry--and how many side trips we may make on the way(ha))
My brother is in too--(second driver-but need some training time)

I'm in! Thanks for getting this started! I was playing around with Google maps and plotted a route if it were to start in Seattle.

View attachment 1305601

Approximate distances:

Seattle – Portland – 175 miles

Portland – Eugene
All depends in timing... 44 is 'down' right now... I hope to have her operational again in a week...

Danny is 'down' right now... Seeing a spine surgeon on Monday...

Please change pngunme to allan man, for now... I'll post here when I am again available, to run with @jetranger and @allan man.

I hope to be part of this adventure... Or, at least, a similar, subsequent adventure...

However, given the wide open Nevada spaces, I'd prefer to take an off pavement leg... At least, as off pavement as possible.

So, if I am able to participate, I'll map a segment that includes as little pavement as possible.

Regarding a 'baton'... I'm not sure how passing a baton would work, when you have multiple, simultaneous segments active...

Just wondering...

I would like to join. I am located in the chico ,ca area and would either travel up the coast through Oregon or across thru Nevada. Distance is not a major issue. Sounds like a great trip to be a part of.

I am in Amarillo so any direction North is desirable in the summer months, too damn hot for any distance in a 40 without A/C south during this time of year. Willing to do a connect in OK, NM, and or CO, 3 to 500 miles no problem. Sounds like a ton of fun to me. Been doing it for years and enjoy it every time. I'd say at least some off paved road travel and camping would need to be required for one of the travel days. Thanks for the inspiration Hector..

I know there are others in the Northern NM, Southern CO that may not know of this endeavor. I'll add them as I recall them.
Casey

I'm in but maybe not this year. My 40 is still undergoing resto/mod so maybe next year. If I get it finished early I will post. I am in Little Rock, Arkansas, Central Mid-South so can go North/South or East/West from here.

Summer is absolutely not the time for travel in a 40 in this art of the country, hot, humid and heat index in the triple digits. Fall is a great time as the mountains are alive with color and the camping is great.

Clustertruck is down but this is awesome. I'll definitely be in for a future run, and would love to see how this pans out. Seems like a good way to meet up with local 40 owners and create FJ40 convoys across the country!

Vehicle choice for me will vary based on time of year. I'd like to suggest that the route detour from the coast central valley of CA over the Sierra Nevadas past Lake Tahoe and then down the Eastern Sierras. WAY more scenic/rustic, and way more off road opportunities. You could then shoot across 190 into Death Valley and on to LV that way, or keep going south and take the 58, or as @thorslc1977 suggests, a parallel route to LV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom