Fj40 carburetor help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys

So i picked up this carb on ebay for my dads FJ. It said id was a Aisan carb for land cruisers.

Im trying to install it in place of the huge holley that came with the truck.

The only thing i find on line is a similar looking carb but with alot more parts on it.

Did i screw up or can this carb be used. This is for a desmogged fj and the only stamps on the carb are a tag that says H3662.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Yury

1427644438519.jpg

holy cow it does. damn and i just got my dizzy from him. the only thing is looking at his there are some different brackets and linkages that i might be missing.

This is what mine looks like, 78 2f before my rebuild.

IMG475.jpg

Simple is betta! Study the threads regarding the desmog in conjunction with THC carb and dizzy, have fun and Dad will be smilin' !

What makes you think that a new carb would be incomplete? It is a non-US carb, so it lacks many small things that are related to emissions and fuel economy standards. How easily it swaps in depends on what year FJ40 (not a FJ!) you have. If you have a Holley, you probably have a cable throttle, so installing this one will be a headache finding all the parts for the mechanical linkage.

What makes you think that a new carb would be incomplete? It is a non-US carb, so it lacks many small things that are related to emissions and fuel economy standards. How easily it swaps in depends on what year FJ40 (not a FJ!) you have. If you have a Holley, you probably have a cable throttle, so installing this one will be a headache finding all the parts for the mechanical linkage.

Yes the PO put a big holley on it and you are correct sir it has a cable throttle crudely attached to it.

Im just trying to get it going right for my dad so he can enjoy it. The holley just dumps fuel into the motor at monstrous amounts even after tunning. So thats why i got this carb that claimed to be oem spec. Any guidence on how best to hook it up would be deeply appreciated.

A simple/common cause of dumping monstrous amounts of fuel into the motor is a stuck open float valve.
It could be a stuck float, junk in the valve or something like that. In any case, this is not a complicated problem (if this is the cause) and is fairly easy to fix. It requires pulling the top off the carb and a little diagnosis. Might be easier than retrofitting a new carb.

What year is your fj40 and what engine is in it? What kind of air cleaner does it have? Help us help you. There are lots of pics on this site and diagrams on sor.com so you can search and see what it is supposed to look like.

What year is your fj40 and what engine is in it? What kind of air cleaner does it have? Help us help you. There are lots of pics on this site and diagrams on sor.com so you can search and see what it is supposed to look like.
Sorry about that. Its a 77 fj40 with a 2f motor in it. The carb is a holley 4412 2 barrel and the air cleaner is a small aftermarket round filter. As far as the rest of the engine bay, it seems stripped of everything smog related. In fact the only vacuum hoses i see are the one from the carb to the dizzy and the hose from the brake booster.

find the mechanical linkages/rods/torque bracket and be done with it... you'll need a gas pedal for a 77 too though...

Yes if you want to make it reliable you have choices to make. The Holley is 100% repairable but holleys always seem to have an issue. The Aisin carb will be far less trouble to keep. Find the linkage, pedal and air cleaner and just put it back to stock.

I can't argue with Shawn's advice-the Aisin is a better LONG TERM solution. Just saying that you might get it running in a couple of hours and be on the road for the next several weeks while you look for parts to make the Aisin work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom