FJ40, Cali Smog :( Chevy Small block TBI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys.

I don't want to ditch my 2F. I love it. But the California smog demon is rearing its ridiculous head and I may be at an impasse. Without going into the 2F smog devil details, I'm well aware of what that takes, my question is what does it take to get a TBI small block to pass smog in a 79 FJ40 with a SM465?

GM trucks came with a TBI 350/SM465 combo in the late 80s and early 90s and from what I remember there really isn't much to the smog part of a TBI Chevy. It'll certainly easier than find parts for it than all of that spaghetti crap that makes a 2F smog ready. Anyone have a parts list? I may have access to a rebuilt small block with like, 500 miles on it. It'll bolt right up to my Muncie and I'll be ready to roll. It would make my life easier.

If you are serious about this be prepared to deal with the Bureau of Automotive Repair, because they will be the final arbiter of whether or not you pass smog. In its simplest form, the engine you select MUST be a 79 or newer and it must be configured as it originally came from the factory at the time of manufacture. This means you will end up running a catilytic converter with the TBI or TPI engines.

GM offers California smog legal bolt-in options but they are hardly cheap. You want to make your decision based on the hurdles you want to cross, i.e. smog pumps, cats, etc..
AND it's still going to need to pass the visual inspection and tailpipe test. I'm not trying to be a downer, just saying you need to go into this with your eyes wide open and not making assumptions about what will or will not pass the BAR Referee.

I have another solution for you. two 11 inch DC motors bolted together... custom plate to mount flywheel and bellhousing... LiPo batteries, 1000amp or so controller... a s*** ton of wiring and your good to go. probably cost the same as getting one of those crate motors too...

^^Too funny. Maybe find a Tesla that's being parted out.

GM offers California smog legal bolt-in options but they are hardly cheap. You want to make your decision based on the hurdles you want to cross, i.e. smog pumps, cats, etc..
AND it's still going to need to pass the visual inspection and tailpipe test. I'm not trying to be a downer, just saying you need to go into this with your eyes wide open and not making assumptions about what will or will not pass the BAR Referee.

This isn't my first tussle with the smog police, and smog here is always a downer. For the record I have no problems making every vehicle on the road pass tailpipe emissions, we share the same air. My problem with this process is that while the emissions are the part that counts, you have to deal with CARB approvals and visual inspections. Doesn't matter of I was swapping a Prius drivetrain in there and had to change the intake in order to fit....

Anyway, I'm just wondering if someone actually has a parts list of what I have to source to get it to pass as say.... a 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500. I believe the engine itself is out of the last of the good Chevys. Let's just assume for this discussion it is.

I have another solution for you. two 11 inch DC motors bolted together... custom plate to mount flywheel and bellhousing... LiPo batteries, 1000amp or so controller... a s*** ton of wiring and your good to go. probably cost the same as getting one of those crate motors too...

This is funny. I would totally rock an electric conversion.... but not on an FJ40 on 35's. It would have a range of...... I dunno.... 10 miles?

I believe Reddingcruiser's first post above exactly answered your question regarding a parts list- - -the list is exactly what would have originally come on the engine you choose.

I've heard mixed things on S10 truck, half ton, 3/4 ton, and one ton.

Light trucks and cars are the same classification. 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are medium duty and the swap will not pass.

the transmission that is behind the engine HAS to be the same classification as what was originally behind it.(ie tune has to match) I've heard that CARB can go so far as requiring OD transmissions.

True. I believe that there were TBI trucks with a 4 speed though, so you should be able to get that combination to pass. If you swap from an engine with an electrically-controlled OD from the computer, it may have to be the exact part, a 4l60, which wouldn't be the end of the world.

To the OP though, really, it's soooo much easier to get a 2f to pass smog than people make it out to be. If you've got all the parts, it's just a matter of a rebuilt carb with the right jets, and possibly resoldering on the ECU.

Light trucks and cars are the same classification. 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are medium duty and the swap will not pass.

True. I believe that there were TBI trucks with a 4 speed though, so you should be able to get that combination to pass. If you swap from an engine with an electrically-controlled OD from the computer, it may have to be the exact part, a 4l60, which wouldn't be the end of the world.

To the OP though, really, it's soooo much easier to get a 2f to pass smog than people make it out to be. If you've got all the parts, it's just a matter of a rebuilt carb with the right jets, and possibly resoldering on the ECU.

I'm a dyed in the wool SBC/AT guy, but I completely agree with Fast Eddy 's last comment.
Regarding the 4L60e and related electronic components: if that was the option mated to the engine you choose, then you must retain that combination.

Not sure if this helps from the east coast but here's some info...

I have an 87 FJ60 w/ a 91 TBI & Toyota manual transmission. I assume the install was done in California, it has a California emissions approved sticker for the TBI under the hood.

Generally, the ECMs are the same for most trucks. It's the PROM (and a resistor pack) that tunes the TBI for a manual or auto trans. Mine does has a California specific PROM for an 88 HD van w/ manual.

Please explain how they "ref" can tell which vehicle a small block chevy came from? I'm going to qualify that by saying a mid 80's 350, or early 90's 305 etc.....(same basic generations blah blah) induction systems changed with vehicle applications, but a sbc is a sbc( with the exception of mechanical vs. electric fuel pumps).... ECU's who cares- get one for either a manual trans or automatic as req'd. Trans appropriate camshaft, cats, correct number of O2's for you model year motor, correct induction system, correct emissions system.

Last edited:
I have an 87 FJ60 w/ a 91 TBI & Toyota manual transmission. I assume the install was done in California, it has a California emissions approved sticker for the TBI under the hood.
Since I don't know of any TBI conversion that is smog legal or Cali exempt, can you please tell me what your sticker says?? E.O. number??, manufacturers name??.

Since I don't know of any TBI conversion that is smog legal or Cali exempt, can you please tell me what your sticker says?? E.O. number??, manufacturers name??.

I'll see if I can get a picture in a bit....

I believe Reddingcruiser's first post above exactly answered your question regarding a parts list- - -the list is exactly what would have originally come on the engine you choose.

Well, yeah I know he is correct...

My question was more specifically if anyone has that parts list on hand. I don't have a full donor truck, just the engine and the Muncie currently in my FJ40.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what it it would take to make it pass out of an 89 Suburban 2500 Manual trans... info is limited on exactly what that list is. It's very easy to go source a bunch of smog parts from a wrecking yard, I'm just trying to figure out what the list for that truck would be and what level of headache I'm in for, that's all.

[QUOTE="...

To the OP though, really, it's soooo much easier to get a 2f to pass smog than people make it out to be. If you've got all the parts, it's just a matter of a rebuilt carb with the right jets, and possibly resoldering on the ECU.[/QUOTE]

I would just make it pass with the 2F if I wasn't missing the parts to do so... I have a few of the hard to find pieces, but the truck was from out of state. Runs great, passes tailpipe no issues, gets good gas mileage for what it is, and is missing well... pretty much everything.

call Howells EFI... they have everything you need and the experience to get you through. I'm doing an EFI on my SBC in my '40 and running cats because I hate the fuel smell when you side dump the exhaust.... I talked to Howells about this and it was no big thing. What hasn't been mentioned is the vapor recovery - you need to use the system from the donor vehicle's engine, not the 2F

Unfortunately I know very little on this trucks history. For all I know this could have come from a cereal box....
emissions pic.jpg

Cali sucks. I live 18 miles from the northern CA border and never ever had to smog anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom