FJ40 aftermarket rear heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just ordered a Summit Racing aftermaket heater for the back of my FJ. I can only find used OEM heater cores and for another $50 got a brand new aftermarket heater. Does anyone see any issues with this?

any specifics on this heater you speak of?
name, model, etc.

no issues i have a bus rear heater in my plow truck,how many btus would be the issue ,is it enough to do any good?

Well by the looks of that why would you need anything to do with your heater core? That one is all electric so just run some power to it and enjoy the heat

I think it still uses engine coolant. Looks a little more exposed than the stock one, but you gotta stay warm!

It looks like a nice unit. It has standard 5/8" coolant ports. Let us know how it works out. Might be a good alternative to the oem.

I'm a big fan of the deluxe 4runner rear fans (gen one). They have a heater core with a fan and are still pretty compact untis. They are probably $25 bucks at a junkyard too.

I just ordered a Summit Racing aftermaket heater for the back of my FJ. I can only find used OEM heater cores and for another $50 got a brand new aftermarket heater. Does anyone see any issues with this?

That looks like it will work just fine. Mights try to find some round deflectors.

Well by the looks of that why would you need anything to do with your heater core? That one is all electric so just run some power to it and enjoy the heat

Did you actually look at it?

I have heard that there is a bosh fan motor out there that will replace the stock old crappy rear heater motor.

If you live in extremly cold climates I can understand the need for a rear heater. My 40 came with a rear heater but the rear heater core had a small leak. I sold the heater because I didn't need it and the heater core was $$$$ as mentioned. I have driven in 10 to 20 degree weather and never needed anything more than my factory front heater. My son has rode in the rear jump seat with my brother and I in the front going hunting on those cold winter mornings. He never complained about getting cold. My hard top seals pretty good and I have an electric fan to cool my motor. The electric cooling fan is the best thing for getting good heat fast inside the 40. The fan is controlled by a digital controller so the fan doesn't come on until the motor is up to operating temp. A heater re-build kit and re-building it yourself pays good dividends. I love the extra space in my rear cargo area and I don't have to worry about damaging those heater lines that are typically running to the rear of the 40. I would personally make sure you are getting all that you can get out of your front heater before buying a rear heater. I know that someone will disagree but I just haven't needed one. Good luck on the install.

I too agree with the front heater re-build. You'd be suprised the stuff that gets caught up in the vent line....like little mice!!

My truck sat for over a year, and sure enough, a mouse built a nest right in the heater!!

I had the front heater core rodded and cleaned all of the rust out of it from years of lack of use, and it REALLY cranks out now - I'm truly suprised.

Not too sure about the rear heater on my truck - it leaked just like every other FJ40 rear heater I've seen :)

I like the look of the Summit products....they're probably pretty good 28K BTUs is a lot for a little cabin in the FJ40.

Best of luck with the install!

Got the heater put in. It works great! I don't think I would ever need to turn it on above low fan speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom