fj40 3-speed vacuum case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes.

Are you running a three speed or did you swap trannies? If you did, it won't be a straight bolt up deal for the linkage. Ran into the same thing when I swapped to a four speed.

has anyone kept the vacuum linkage?
i have a 76 without the lever on the dash. i am trying to find an electrical/mechanical switch i can install.
any suggestions? ???

buy a solenoid from MSC Direct or some place like that...

hey like i said on pirate...make sure you pop out that lock ring and swap bearings...the one in the three speed is brand spankin new...

-Max

I still have the vacuum actuated t-case. It hasn't caused me any problems yet, and since I don't get to wheel it all that often, I haven't made the effort to change it. That being said- if someone were to offer me the proper hardware to convert it to manual linkage- I might be persuaded... But until then- it's vacuum all the way!
Zipp.

i found an electrically activated pnuematic switch from a 95 4runner that will actuate the 2/4 lever similiar to the way an ARB works. i will put a momentary rocker switch with an indicator light that tells me when its in 4 wheel drive. should be cool if it works.

not sure about the failure part ???. i am doing a 420 swap and got a used 3 speed t-case that had the vacuum lever.

Why is the mechanical linkage better than the vacume?

Its less apt to failure, no tubes and such to wear out with time, just plain simpler. Always remember to K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, stupid)

I (or more likely the PO) got water in my vacuum mechanism, and it froze everything up when it got cold and I needed it. So that is one reason mechanical is better.

I (or more likely the PO) got water in my vacuum mechanism, and it froze everything up when it got cold and I needed it.  So that is one reason mechanical is better.
Oh yeah I remember that thread on SOR, that was a bugger for a while! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom