Wanted FJ25 Transmission Gears and Synchros (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I tore the 25 transmission apart and wasn't too psyched about the condition of the synchros and the dogs on the gears, but i can't exactly run down to my dealer and buy new parts so I replaced all the bearings (except for the loose needles) and buttoned everything back together.

No Bueno.

Still doesn't want to downshift without double-clutching and still makes a bearing noise (needle bearings between input and main shafts)

Long story short, anybody have any decent synchros, gears, or needle bearings? Anybody have the dimensions of the needle bearings?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I can mic the new bearings for you.

Dia. .220"
Lgt. .748"
Mot said these were the last in the system, that shouldn't keep you from trying.
20160317_185454.jpg
20160317_185843-1.jpg

20160317_185818-1.jpg

20160317_184219-1.jpg

I tried sending some pictures of brackets in a PM and had no luck even getting to mud on my other computer. I might have better luck sending them thru a Email.

As for transmission parts did I send you more then just a couple of pictures of the third gear? No needle bearing or synchros. But think all gears were there. My complete spare T/T I've never run all I know is it's not frozen up. I do have a question which gear are you having a problem down shifting. Fourth to third is the only one with a synchro. First and second gear do not have any synchros. My first and fourth FJ25s are the only two I've ever driven and both shifted the same. But I've never drove either at highway speeds. Slower speeds shift okay. Even fourth to third required getting a feel for the transmission. Third to second was always double clutching. I do not remember bearing noise. That part would scare me.

Fourth to third is my concern, although I'm not terribly surprised considering the dogs on the third gear were a bit worn. I remember a couple photos of the gear you have, but couldn't tell how much better it was.

The closest needle bearing I can find is a .752"x .218" needle bearing that happens to have been used in SM420's.

I don't think I ever looked at the SM 420 needle bearings, didn't bother when none of the other bearings were the same. Are there any specs on what the id and od of the shafts should be? Might be simpler to have them resurfaced for another bearing.

Last edited:
The trans is still buttoned up in the truck. I was going to wait until i found the parts to dig into it again. I have some 3-speed, 4-speed, and 5-speed synchros here to compare if you think you have one.

Could your top speed syncro be the same as a later 3-speed trans?
FJ25 FA60 33365
FJ40 RK30 33365 now 33368-35012 Still available (I have 2 new ones)

Could your 3rd gear be the same as a 3-speed trannys?
FJ25 2BJ 33301
FJ40 FS10 33301 new 33311-61010 or 33304-61010 not available

SM420 roller.218x.719

The trans is still buttoned up in the truck. I was going to wait until i found the parts to dig into it again. I have some 3-speed, 4-speed, and 5-speed synchros here to compare if you think you have one.
I don't have a 3rd gear syncro,

Interesting. I have the fj25 parts book with new numbering system and early FJ40 parts books with new and old and never dove in far enough to notice those similarities in part numbers. I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks!

LITP, do you still have that third gear hanging around? Any way you could take some measurements for me so I can compare it to my three speed synchros?

Thanks Jim. Oh believe me, I've already checked every source in every country I could. Funny how your book also says there are supposed to be 18 of these bearings but it's really 16.

4X4 World.Com list them but I can't get them to budge on shipping $21.60 dollars worth of Roller Bearings at a reasonable cost. E.G., under $100

they list eBay items at considerably lower shipping rates...................., maybe you could work on them. I'd definitely be in for 2 sets myself.

Interesting. I have the fj25 parts book with new numbering system and early FJ40 parts books with new and old and never dove in far enough to notice those similarities in part numbers. I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks!

LITP, do you still have that third gear hanging around? Any way you could take some measurements for me so I can compare it to my three speed synchros?

I could take some measurements. If I have the right gear it has 26 teeth. The syncro count is 30. Believe this the gear I cleaned up and sent you pictures of. If it is I do have the syncro after all.

This gear has 2BJ33354 stamped on it.

That's the one. I'm interested in the synchro if you want to part with it.

That said, I found a place in Asia (not Japan) that seems to manufacture the synchros, springs, keys, and needle bearings. I've submitted an inquiry to purchase a small qty of them. I'll let you guys know what I find.

The 3rd gear is part number 33333-60010 in the 1963 FJ25 parts manual. That number seems to have been superseded to 33305-60010 at some point. A lot of times, numbers were superseded when they were used in other vehicles. Any idea how to find out what 33305-60010 may have been used in? I'm assuming it was in a cruiser since it ends with "60010", but it must have been something early because it's straight cut. Or maybe it was in a forklift?

Last edited:
Do you have a part number for the 61/62 three speed.? Some time in 63 the transmission changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom