FJ vs BJ 40 engine preference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the market for a 40. There seem to be a lot of BJ-40 diesels coming in from Costa Rica (at least on ebay, where I am looking most frequently) which has me considering going that route since it may be easier to purchase one. If I go FJ, I prefer the 2F engine of 74 and after or would consider chevy mods in pre 74s.

Are there benefits to gas vs diesel? I am/will be very new to automechanic work so I would prefer the one which is easier to work with. I have been told the diesel is more reliable over all, but louder and slower. Are those differences that noticeable for someone who has never driven either?

As always, thanks for the advice!

Here in Europe almost only BJ40 .... I own an FJ40... I tried both... FJ40 is the winner to me ( fluidity, more power, sound.... may be less torque at lower RPM, but you ll have more than plenty unless you go Rock Crowling....) but if you capitalise on pleasure I recommend FJ40.

seems everything i've read says the Bseries are painfully slow. the 20mpgs that most claim they get doesn't make up the difference for me. if i would go diesel, it would be with a 2H.

I almost bought a bj40 ... for me the deciding factor was I understand gas engines and can do some of the work myself ... diesel, not so much ... another factor for me is B series replacement stuff is getting harder to find ... folks that have them seem to love them, but if I were to do the diesel thing in my 40 someday, it would probably be a !hz ...

I have diesel envy. Conceptually, I like not having to rely on the alternator to keep the engine running. I've had my alternator crap out on me leaving me stranded once. That said, I drove two hours to work today at a steady 75 mph--no headwind [emoji14] I doubt a 3b could do that. My 10 mpg does suck though.

For me the BJ series only,just bought a 1980 BJ44 in San Fransisco from a non mecanicly inclined owner and drove it home to Texas in 3 days.That is 2300 miles ( I took the scenic route) I want to see any of the gasser guys see doing that!

Diesels are very simple and super reliable parts are not harder to come by then some of the harder to find gas parts.

Just my 2 cents

Joe

Given a choice, I'd buy a 3B diesel and add a Turbo. Lots of guys have done it locally, and it's not very hard to do. I've considered swapping out my 350 for a 3B (or another diesel), but the break even point (for fuel savings) would be more than 10 years out.

I've got a diesel Ambo, and it's been a bit of a learning curve... But nothing complex, just different than the gassers I've been used to. I love the power and performance of a Turbo diesel. You've got fuel, a fuel filter, glow plugs, and injectors... Much simpler than a gasser, and they love to work. No more spark plugs, carbs, wires, caps, rotors, distributors... Much less maintenance... Just more costly when it's needed.

If you choose Diesel , 3B is the engine to use... No doubt on that.... Another interesting thing in favor of Diesel is that you cross rivers with less risk ! That can be a big concern depending on the use of your truck !

Certain parts for the BJ are very hard to find. I got rid of a BJ70 after the second EDIC (injection controller) went out. They've been long discontinued and are tough to find. I had an alternator go out. Luckily I found a rebuilder in Texas that could handle it. I was quoted around 900.00 for a new one. The 2F is insanely reliable and will outrun the BJ on any highway. If you get the BJ you'd need a turbo to keep yourself and everyone else sharing the highway happy. In many places diesel is so much cheaper than gas that diesel cars and trucks are an obvious choice. Here, with diesel being 15 ~ 20% more it's not quite so much a deciding factor. I got about 19.5 with the 3b if I tried to maintain 70~75 mph ( I said tried ). I get about 13~14 at that speed with a fuel injected 2F but can average that speed over a lot more varied terrain. I do miss the 3B for in town driving. If you keep it 40 or below the mileage gets into the mid 20's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom