1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FJ 60 Smog Pump

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey all! New member here and just wanted to thank you for all the knowledge I find on these posts :) I have a question regarding the smog pump on my 87 FJ 60. It has completely seized up and wont turn at all. I read somewhere that If I remove and disassemble, I can basically reinstall it so even though it doesnt really work, the belt still has a pulley to turn on. Is this possible? I dont live in Cali, so the smog is not a concern to me. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for all your help!
    PS...just finished replacing my 287K stock springs with the 3" Pinnacle engineering spring lift...IM IN LOVE!!!

2. brian

brian SILVER Star

don't know that for sure but i've heard(read) it some where.
    as for me the P.O of my 60(also on 3" pinnacle springs!!) removed the air pump replaced it with a bracket and pulley.

3. Chef

Chef

Absolutely true. Pull it, open it up, and remove the vanes on the rotor. You'll see what I mean when you get it open. Had to do this at Moab '02 when a waggy air pump siezed on the trail. We had it fixed in about 40 minutes...Alan

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for your help guys. Chef, I did exactly what you said. Took me much longer than 40 mins...but I'm working on that :) Once I had the smog pump out, it was really easy to take apart and remove the insides. Thanks again for your help on this!

5. Mavric1298

Mavric1298

Looks like everyone with 60's are on the PE 3" lifters.....I KNOW I AM!!!

6. Chef

Chef

Heh, my springs are stock for now... I think I'm going with bds for the warranty...if thye bust or sag, they just hand you new ones...