FJ 60 Loss of power and overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 85 FJ60 which recently starting overheating and has significant loss of power. I was thinking Head gasket but there is no fluid loss in the radiator, no smoking tail pipe and no liquid (other than oil) in the oil sump. Anyone have any ideas. Hoping its not an engine rebuild. THanks in advance for any ideas.

Maybe just tired of Summer in AZ... How does it sound? Any other weirdness to report? Any recent work/changes/additions? When is power loss occurring? Across all revs? Others will likely chime in to remind that the temp gauge is notoriously sucky.

I guess I should have explained all I did prior to writing this post. The fuel filter is clean, all vacuum lines (that I can see) are connected, fuel is good, octane is 91. I'm thinking some type of failure internally, just can't figure out what, and more importantly why.

I experienced the same overheating issue with my FJ40. The problem was a blocked exhaust due to the exhaust diverter flap coming loose and blocking the exhaust manifold. It took me weeks of troubleshooting everything until I finally decided it must be something blocking the exhaust and pulled the manifolds.

Don't mean to soound so new, but I never have heard of the exhaust diverter flap, are you taking about the flap the pivots underneath the intake/carb area to help the warm up process?

You need to approach this methodically: as Output stated, first thing probably should be a compression test to rule out the most likely stuff, like HG or burned valve.

Not to say that a blown HG is the problem, but a HG can blow at the narrow space between two cylinders, far away from the coolant outlet holes. A blow at this location would not burn coolant nor oil, but would cause a drop in compression (power) between the two affected cylinders. A blow of this type would also cause rough idle.

If a compression check shows low in a cylinder or two, it could be the HG or valves as Spike mentioned. Either way, the head would have to come off. Not the end of the world.

Do the easiest tests first (like compression check)

That's what I'm hoping for, compression tests tomorrow. Im really hoping it's nothing more serious that would require a rebuild

Hey, on this subject, what's a good comp tester to have in the tool box? Gonna go get/order one and test my 2F.

Don't mean to soound so new, but I never have heard of the exhaust diverter flap, are you taking about the flap the pivots underneath the intake/carb area to help the warm up process?

That is exactly what I'm talking about. Those two rivets, or whatever hold it on, rotted away on mine, and it was blocking the exhaust.

Did the compression test,#3 & #4 cylinders are dead. Some fluid in 5&6 with cylinder scoring in #6. Looks like a rebuild, was really hoping it would be an easier and less expensive fix. I hate when a plan doesn't come together. Now I'm praying the head and the even the block are not cracked. Especially the block

The most likely thing is a head gasket, but of course, the head must now come off for a looksee.

Did the compression test,#3 & #4 cylinders are dead. Some fluid in 5&6 with cylinder scoring in #6. Looks like a rebuild, was really hoping it would be an easier and less expensive fix. I hate when a plan doesn't come together. Now I'm praying the head and the even the block are not cracked. Especially the block

So, have you done a valve check/adjust recently? We have had several
Dying F/2F motors come into the shop only to leave running healthy after only setting the valves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom