Fj 40 front axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am putting youta axle sunder my zuk. I just purchased a locked fj40 rear and i am wondering what to do with the front. Is the fj40 front as strong as a Mini Truck front? are there cheap/easy disk brake conversions out there for the 40 front? just need a little help on deciding what to do. Gotta say one thing though. &nbsp:DAMN :eek: that rear third is HUGE. don't think i will ever break the beast on a one ton sammi.

Thanks for the input...

Jon :D

so i guess that means none of you guys know anything about the cruiser frontends :D :D :D..... i have guys telling me to run the minitruck front at pirate.... just want to know why.. all iget there is "because fj40 stuff sucks" i frankly don't believe that but....... CLUE ME IN :bow: :bow:

thanks

Jon

I would have to say that it's a toss up as to which is stronger...the birfields for the mini trucks are deffinitly stronger. If you get and 84 or 85 minitruck front axle then it will be gusseted on the bottom which is stronger....Under a Sami i would go with the Mini truck because A)the truck is much lighter than a toyota pickup so bending housing shouldn't be a problem less ou slam it, B) Parts are readily available and so are upgrades ect ect, C)it already has diskbrakes so no conversion, D) I think(don't quote me) they are a bit wider than the 40 axles, E) you should be able to pick up a complete minitruck front axle for under 200bucks from a junk yard...try finding a 40 front end in a junk yard.

But then again sometimes price and availability drives everthing. It would be dam cool to have LC axles under a Sami though! One of our club members just picked up a running driveable sami for get this 25 bucks!!!!!!!!!!! Even i would have bought that Hope this helps.

Stew

go with cruiser axles and mini birfs and disk brakes 1 off set rear pumpkin 2 you are only moving a 1/3 of the weight and I haven't broke any yet with 35's 3 I am pretty sure that the cruiser axle shafts are thicker and 4 you wont need spare parts after you get the inital set :D

If you are running Cruiser rear then match it with a Cruiser front.

Run Cruiser center, housing, inner shafts, Longfields to replace birfields, and ideally you find a 79-82 FJ40 housing to use, or locate a drum brake housing (cheap) from 68-75 and then swap on the minitruck knuckles for greater strength.

Drum front axle, $100 or less, minitruck front, $200 tops, new locker $250, longfields $350.

thanks guys...

i think i am going to run the mini front for now. i found one for about 150 bucks complete. we will see how it goes. i am going to keep my eye open for an LC front though so we'll see.

Jon :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom