Fixing window mechanism... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '74 40 with an operable passenger side window and an inop dirver's side window...makes for some unpleasant rain experiences. Anyway, how hard is it to open the door up and replace the bad parts? Has anyone done this and would you please give me any tips that you can?
thanks so much

g

If it is anything like my 72 doors, its a piece of cake. When I got my cruiser neith window worked, but all it was is the regulator was not in the tracks of the windows. I really dont know of any advice, just open it up and look at it. They are a very simple design

if its your regulator,( missing teeth and rusty probably) just unscrew the panel with the window knob on it, have someone hold onto your glass, or tape it up. The regulator slides out of that hole. Just need to put it back in make sure its lined up and your done. least on a 71, not sure if 74 regulators different, should be similar.

Try this link for a mechanical:

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat124.tam?xax=2461&page.ctx=cat124.tam

It's actually pretty simple. Unscrew the 4 bolts from the regulator plate and the 4 on the access door. Pop the roller out of the window track and pull the whole regulator out. Grease the track well. Install the new regulator and bolt it all back up. Should be simple to do, it was for me. If you have any more questions you can PM me. Good luck!

thanks,
i will try it tomorrow

cheers,
grant

quick fix I did that I am quite proud of except that it took me 7 years to figure it out was my pass window woould not stay up and I didn't want to buy a new regulator so I pulled out the felt lines that go down the side of the glass(were basically only glued at the top)and put the top in first so that it became the bottom. Wha la new felt at the top and a tight seal the window stays up and cost all of about 45 minutes and a bit of spray glue. Just a budget quick fix but I will probably fix it right in about 3-8 years.

Etrenal-spring is here, mountains beware

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom