First gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ntsqd

technerd
Threads
With Patch getting a little rusty (& soon to be up for sale), a need for an occasional tow'd for our CTD/camper, and an infrequent need to be able to transport up to three other people I've been looking for a first gen 4Runner. I know that rear seat access in these is not as easy as going with a 4 door 2nd or later gen, but I am NOT interested in those at this point.

I am interested on input from owners of these trucks. What is desirable, what to look out for, etc. Specifically I am looking for a 3.0L/Manual trans combo, preferably in white or beige. As it happens I have the b/h, trans, & doubled t/c to convert one from an auto, but none of the other bits. Not sure how involved such a conversion might be. I see that I can source the flywheel & clutch stuff from Rock Auto for around $200, but what about the computer?

Basic plan would be little to no lift, Bils or Fox dampers (have some of each - no idea what will fit yet) 31's or 33-10.50's, selectable locking rear diff, open front, appropriate gearing for the tire size, & manual locking hubs. I won't be doing an SAS, it will stay IFS.

Gratuitous pic of Patch:
i-6mpSbBN.jpg

Last edited:
If you want the 3VZ-E engine, you're looking at '88 or '89 years.

Conversion is not hard. Computer is the same, you just need to short the neutral start switch. You'll need the pedals (I have a set if you can't find them locally), clutch master, lines, slave. Crossmember and driveshaft is the same, IIRC.

KLF,
Thank you!

Short of a junkyard, is there a source for the various center console bits and the rubber boots that bolt to the floor under the console? I'm guessing that such parts are long since out of the OEM supply line.

I wouldn't mind having the 3.4, but I am not willing to deal with this State's bureaucracy in making it smog legal.

From a little reading between the lines it sounds like the "3.0Slow" reputation comes mostly from trucks with auto's and that trucks with manuals aren't all that bad. They're not rockets, they're not even 3.4's, but they're more than a 22R(E). Which is what I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom