1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

firewall pass-through wiring harness connector

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by rusmannx, Apr 12, 2010.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx New Member

I'm going to be helping a friend with his wiring harness install this summer and I had this thought:

Wouldn't it be great if someone makes a wiring connector which can be bolted over a hole in the firewall, which the harness inside the body would plug into from the inside, and the harness in the engine bay would plug into from the outside.

The only real function I can see for it would be to make it easier if you ever had to remove the body from the frame. I have checked out Weather Pack Connectors (it's the only brand I know of) and they do not make such a thing. Anyone know of such a connector?
  2. DanS HJ-45

DanS HJ-45 SILVER Star

You mean like this:

[​IMG]

McMaster-Carr carries them. They are also commonly used on airplanes. You can order them from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty as well, or you could maybe get some from an aircraft salvage yard.

You solder the wires to each connector, and one connector goes through the bulkhead (firewall) and it attached to it.

They are very nice. I have also seen them on heavy trucks (notably International trucks--often used as school busses).

Dan
  3. crushr

crushr New Member

Amphenol makes a broad variety - very common in military applications. Search for "bulkhead connector". Seems overkill for a cruiser, tho.
  4. MoCoNative

MoCoNative New Member

I've seen that on late 80's Dodge Trucks, seemed to be another plug to get corrosion in it. Except instead of effecting one system, it potentally corroded every wire going into the engine bay.

The military and aviation grade stuff is best, but kind of over kill.
  5. SouthBostonFJ

SouthBostonFJ SILVER Star

The type you want is a rack mount receptacle or a bulkhead.

I sell military cable assemblies. If you come up with a part number, PM me and I will see if I have it or can get it. Very often the price for one connector is around $100 and can get them for between $20 and $30 depending on the connector.

Attached Files:

6. rusmannx

rusmannx New Member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  7. BDelling

BDelling SILVER Star

American Autowire sells connectors for this purpose. They sell ones with different contact amounts for various needs (10, 12, 20, etc). I plan on using them with I do my rewire this summer.
  8. cruiserbrett

cruiserbrett Moderator

deutsch makes nice ones.

look here
  9. SouthBostonFJ

SouthBostonFJ SILVER Star

Ladd is a distributor for Duetsch and they might sample you one for free if you ask.
  10. rusmannx

rusmannx New Member