finished the homemade lift mate! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this was super cheap but works great and doesnt take up any room. First is the hooks I used. These were off of a old tow rope I had that was no longer viable. I dipped them in plastic dip to coat them and protect the wheel.
photo (3).JPG
photo (4).JPG

Next I wrapped them with tubular webbing and cut an old section of fire hose as a edge protector. The first pic is the final product. We went to the parking lot after everything had dried and it picked the rear left tire of my 80 right off the ground with no problem. In the picture it is up about two inches but it is hard to tell. I know that a parking lot is the perfect senerio but I was still very pleased. I checked my knots for any signs of slipping and there was none. We r going out to play in the woods tomorrow so if I get stuck Ill let you know how it works out for me. Hope everyone likes.
photo (5).JPG
photo (6).JPG

Same as the Lift Mate. For people with stock bumpers there is no jacking point so now I can grab from the wheel and get my 80 off of the ground. You would do this to get unstuck by putting items that provide traction under the wheel while it's in the air. Also if you carry cribbing you could lift up a wheel with a blown tire, crib the vehicle under the axel, and change tires.

how about slipping some thick rubber hose on the hooks to avoid marking the wheel?

I would also be real careful about the hilift crashing into the side of the truck, seems iffy to me.

That scares me !

not hi lift fan for those situations when isn't strictly necessary .. for all other floor bootle jack will do wonders .. just my .0002 cents.

The hooks are rubber dipped and haven't scared the wheels so far. It is very stable and plenty strong

..................I would also be real careful about the hilift crashing into the side of the truck, seems iffy to me.
That scares me !
X2! I understand what you're trying to do and it looks like a very economic way to get it done. But, the phrase "You get what you pay for" keeps popping into my head when I see this. Just remember your words: "a parking lot is the perfect senerio". It will be different in the woods.

The fact that I didn't pay any money for the items means nothing. The hooks were off of a recovery strap rated at 20k I believe and the webbing is rated at 8k when double wrapped and I'm only lifting one corner of the truck. I'm currently working on a large metal base so that the weight can be distributed more evenly and make it more stable off road. I work a lot with technical rope rescue in my job and feel that this setup is more than adequate. That being said, it definently isnt perfect for every situation. We went wheeling a couple days ago in deep snow and when I became stuck we used a strap, another truck and shovels! To me this is a last option self extrication option

it seems to me that there is a fundamental difference between having the hilift "beak" be under a piece of metal and pulling on a piece of flexible material. In the former case, the friction helps prevent it to move relative to the load itself. With the flexible material, even if you put the tip of the beak against the tire (can't see) there is still not as much preventing it from going sideways as there is if it's under metal. Seems potentially much more unstable to me. Even if you're pretty sure it's OK, think about what it could potentially do to the side of your truck. That could get pricey to fix.

IMHO ........ I would have more faith/confidence in your version of the LM-100 Lift Mate than I would an actual Lift Mate.

Which is seen in action here:

51Z6b9BxbZL._AA300_.jpg

with other pictures here:
Amazon.com: Hi-Lift Jack LM-100 Lift-Mate

Yours is obviously much stronger, has a better/wider hook placement for use with large tires, allowing the jack to rest on the tire father away from the hooks (providing a much larger 3 point support area than what the Lift Mate does on big tires) and so .... I appreciate the ingenuity you put into improving the commercial version.

I'd like to see you do a version of the BL-250 Bumper Lift accessory for the Hi Lift.
With a few modifications/changes, it looks like your basic design would do well at replacing the BL-250 as well.

In any case ........ I happen to have some hooks and some 4000lb cap slings, so ...... "Thank You" for a great idea. It sure beats spending the coin for a much less capable version from Hi Lift! :)
If I feel it's required ..... I'll make up a simple inverted 'U shaped plate' to go over the jack's horn and the sling, and add a pin going through it and the horn (like the Lift Mate does) to better secure the sling from slipping off the jack's horn by routing the sling between the U plate sides and behind the pin, but I suspect it's probably not needed.

Last edited:
Raising the dead thread - just made one of these myself. It works great. I wonder how well it would work with a completely deflated tire. You just get the webbing and make two loops through the hooks, using water knots. I'll need to find a more suitable edge protector. I used a piece of heavy rubber and while it works, it doesn't look great and destroyed the rubber. I'll also add some rubber tubing to the hooks themselves., Regardless, this plus a wee little jackstand and two bits of plywood could save you a lot of time and effort.

And to be honest, I trust technical rope rescue more than I trust the original hi-lift lift mate.

Having a bit of experience with webbing I can say that its more than strong enough even with that little 1 inch tube webbing that your using. I always keep about 20' of this and some carabineers with me for whatever. The only thing I don't like is it sitting unsecured on top of that piece of fire hose. Yes, the wheel should stop it, if it did slip forward. But, it could also slip down between the tire and the point of the jack and F you pretty quickly. Probably wouldn't be to difficult to rig some sort of metal pin type keeper for it. However, having just looked at the lift mate on Amazon, they are priced pretty reasonable.

You could easily modify that setup to be stronger and more stable. Instead of doing that double loop over the top just do a single knot around one of the hooks. Then on the other end of your webbing tie in a loop that you can fix a carabineer to. When your ready to use, feed the free end through the triangle under the lifting arm of the jack, then attach the carabineer and 2nd hook for the lift. Yes, it will bring you down to single wrap, however, the current triangle that your webbing creates under load is causing your hooks to load from two directions. By going a single down to each hook you will keep your resultant forces on one plane and actually put less stress on your hooks.

Having a bit of experience with webbing I can say that its more than strong enough even with that little 1 inch tube webbing that your using. I always keep about 20' of this and some carabineers with me for whatever. The only thing I don't like is it sitting unsecured on top of that piece of fire hose. Yes, the wheel should stop it, if it did slip forward. But, it could also slip down between the tire and the point of the jack and F you pretty quickly. Probably wouldn't be to difficult to rig some sort of metal pin type keeper for it. However, having just looked at the lift mate on Amazon, they are priced pretty reasonable.

You could easily modify that setup to be stronger and more stable. Instead of doing that double loop over the top just do a single knot around one of the hooks. Then on the other end of your webbing tie in a loop that you can fix a carabineer to. When your ready to use, feed the free end through the triangle under the lifting arm of the jack, then attach the carabineer and 2nd hook for the lift. Yes, it will bring you down to single wrap, however, the current triangle that your webbing creates under load is causing your hooks to load from two directions. By going a single down to each hook you will keep your resultant forces on one plane and actually put less stress on your hooks.

What about using another piece of 1" tubular webbing to tie the loops onto the horn via the hole underneath the horn?

Wow!!! Where did this thread come from! I have used this setup a couple times with success. Like some people in here, I work with rescue rope and rescue softwear in my career and am much more comfortable with that compared to what they sell on amazon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom