Finally let me down... Or I let him down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to Boggin Bunnell yesterday and had tons of fun, then broke on the way back. I was on i 95 almost back to Daytona Beach where I'm at school and had to pull of the he road as my front left brakes started smoking! I'm glad I didn't try to make it to the next exit because my brakes were 95% gone. I had the petal to the floor and took about a quarter mile to slow down. Power steering fluid was everywhere and the front left rotor and hub were stupid hot (obviously). We had tons of bottled water which I dumped all over the rotor and caliper which basically all steamed off. The wheel turned freely so I knew the caliper wasn't seized, so I figure the power steering fluid was making everything hot? It was spraying all over it from one of the high pressure hoses.
So I wrapped the hose to try and just cause the fluid to drip down since I had fluid with me to limp back to Embry Riddle. But then when we went to set off the transmission was slipping extremely bad so I checked the fluid and it was almost all gone.
AAA it is so I accepted defeat and had it towed to a shop the tow truck driver recommended (not AAA recommended), called South Daytona Automotive and there Jack sits...
I have a feeling the transmission fluid was just leaking slowly and I hadn't checked it in the while so I can hold off on that and that all it needs is a new hose. Do you guys think the power steering was the whole reason for the brake failure? The brake fluid was normal...

Power steering and brakes not related on these trucks. If you had hydroboost like on a 1-ton domestic truck they would absolutely be related.

Could you feel any pulling side-to-side with the brakes? Or did you just have a visual?
Thinking maybe you blew a master cylinder seal... And the PS leak is just coincidence.

Power steering and brakes not related on these trucks. If you had hydroboost like on a 1-ton domestic truck they would absolutely be related.

Could you feel any pulling side-to-side with the brakes? Or did you just have a visual?
Thinking maybe you blew a master cylinder seal... And the PS leak is just coincidence.
I just thought maybe the power steering fluid was making the caliper slip? I'm not sure what made the brakes so hot though? The brakes pulled to the right. The truck also felt like it was pulling to the left going straight. I'll find out tomorrow I guess.

One caliper slipping would not have the effects on your brakes as your described.

The transmission worked after I put some fluid in it so I don't think it's gone. :) However the master cylinder is not building hardly any pressure so I was wondering if any of you guys knew where I could find a rebuild kit?

Just replace it it's not expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom