Builds Finally got my own...Meet BeBe (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So first order of rust repair will be starting next week as I should officially be out of the boot starting Tuesday.
This spot has been around for about a year now and I want to get it taken care of as there is really nothing else wrong with the door rust wise.
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

So the question is... how the hell do you get the outer window felt/wiper thing off without breaking anything? I will plan to order new window runs and felts when I get the chance but that is taking more of a back seat at the moment.

Plus, wife is getting the drivers seat reupholstered and repaired for my bday, too much travel and other expenses right now to afford the Tweco but making some progress on the truck.. Plus the muffler/exhaust has just about completely fallen apart. When I busted the leg a few months back I noticed that the weld area/clamp for the last bit of pipe finally rusted all the way through and dropped down. Now the outlet at the muffler itself has rusted through and is barely hanging on. So I am gonna drop the exhaust soon here and take care of the emissions pipe that used to go to the smog pump (which is just blocked off in the engine bay) and basically create my own redneck system from the cat back.

Hey Greg, you can get the exhaust pipe (from muffler back) from Rockauto, cost effective. The rearmost pipe hanger is still available, ask Onur.
As for the door repair, you need to remove the glass, and of course the inner panel, then you can begin to tackle the glass wiper and felt. The chrome and rubber are held together by brittle plastic clips. I was able to break only one of the clips, and learned that wiggling / pulling up the rubber/felt and angling parallel to the glass slot, would remove the wiper, leaving the chrome in the door.
Then I used a long handled flat screwdriver to 'pry' the plastic clip free from the chrome strip...
I will try to get some photos up.

@micruz60 Oh yeah I know that you can get the walker setup from RockAuto however I am going to upgrade a bit and go with a 2.5" Jones Full Boar Muffler (clone of a Flowmaster 50 series) and then do 2.5" back. My hanger on the last section was just fine, apparently attached to the pipe via a u-bolt clamp but other than that everything for the hanger was in good shape.

And with regards to the glass/felt removal... How do you go about removing the glass? I remember trying to do it at one point on the drivers door when I was replacing the regulator but couldn't seem to figure it out... Do you have to rotate it and pull through the window opening or something?

Yes, you do have to rotate and remove upward thru the slot.
The fsm details this.
-edit-
BO-5 thru BO-10 shows the basics, and since I have been rehabbing several doors, and did not follow exact sequence, ymmv.

Last edited:
Thanks @micruz60 I had looked through the manuals once upon a time but did not remember finding anything on the sequence. I will have to take a stab at it when I get a chance. Looks like I will be ordering a new outer felt/run for the passenger as it seem like it is just easier to let it break, plus I want to get rid of the chrome.

Ah so, getting rid of the chrome, how will the exterior felt be secured?
Several pics here, not easy to explain... note that the slots in door skin do not align to slots in chrome strip.... Seems like the friction fit of the chrome piece onto doorskin is what keeps it there.
The rubber / felt strip has an integral metal stabilizer, which is easily bent, so careful with removal. the fsm shows removal with flat blade screwdriver...
hth

upload_2016-9-23_15-11-5.jpeg
upload_2016-9-23_15-12-8.jpeg
upload_2016-9-23_15-13-26.jpeg
upload_2016-9-23_15-18-38.jpeg

upload_2016-9-23_15-13-3.jpeg

Last edited:
@micruz60 window felt replacement
Looks like the "new" piece is solid felt/rubber all in one instead of multiple piece chrome and rubber wiper. Based on your pics it seems that if I remember the glass and get in there with a flat blade screwdriver and bend the metal tabs out all should pop off as one? Or am I imagining things?

There are no metal tabs.
The plastic clips have a ridge that secures the rubber/felt, and there is a small bump that snaps into the backside of the slot in the chrome piece. If the replacements are better designed (sounds like it), then you can prolly destroy the originals in removal?

Ah ok... so the plastic clip basically holds onto the rubber and then pops through the chrome strip and then the door to hold everything together. I think I get it. Yeah not going to touch until I get the new outside rubber felt/wiper. Then I don't have to worry about if I destroy the old ones.

You can delete the chrome strips, the rubber just sits lower then before. I'll upload a picture of mine in a second.

You can probably sell the chrome strips to someone for their restoration.

image.jpeg

Thanks for the pics @cruisermatt. Drivers side definitely needs all the new felts and everything from person trying to break in at one point. Figure I will probably start with those outer felts/wipers on both windows when I get a chance, so that way I can tackle the passenger side rust too. Bigger problem right now is that the muffler/exhaust is pretty much completely eaten through so the truck is getting louder by the week. This normally would not be that much of an issue but I have one of "those" neighbors.

So first order of business is redneck replacement of exhaust. Luckily I have a summit racing not far from me in Reno so I can grab a few things... Going to step up the stock exhaust from the cat back to 2.5" via a coupler (should be here today) to something like a Flowmaster 50 Series, then 2.5 pipe to the rear.

So couple questions, don't want to go big or expensive on this so looking at cheaper mufflers, but also don't want a lot of drone or noise. Here are the mufflers I am looking at currently...
- Jones Exhaust Full Boar Deflector
- Summit Racing 2-Chamber welded
- Jones Exhaust Full Boar Quiet Tone

I have listened to sound clips of all of them from Youtube and they seem to be right on par with the Flowmaster 50 Series with the Jones Quiet Tone being as quiet if not quieter. Reason for the coupler is that I will eventually step up the engine and plan to have this exhaust around for a while. Rest of the connections I will utilize my BILs welder and weld up where needed at his house (figure it would be fairly easy to take parts to his place, mark up how thing should be put together and then weld on the floor or welding table) utilizing flanges or v-bands (probably flanges).

Other question, is for those of you that have replaced the exhaust, did you follow the exact same route as stock or did you go slightly different?
Anyone dump their exhaust at the muffler, which I assume would probably just trap exhaust under the truck. Or did you dump out the side like stock between the tire and bumper (but still in the spring).

I wouldn't do a chambered muffler too much tone and noise. I've got $16 2.5" summit turbo mufflers on my Roadrunner and I'm very happy.

I wouldn't do a chambered muffler too much tone and noise. I've got $16 2.5" summit turbo mufflers on my Roadrunner and I'm very happy.

Flowmaster 50series is a chambered muffler and seems to be the standard for most guys around here. The one thing that I heard about the turbo mufflers is that they have more drone at highways speeds than their chambered brethren. Main difference is that you want a multi chambered muffler, no single chambered as they are loud and free flowing. Ones I linked are dual chamber or more with some packing like the turbos.

"turbo" mufflers are what 99% of vehicles come with. I'd put the biggest cheap turbo muffler on it that I could find. I've got a recent exhaust on mine and the truck is dead silent. All you hear is the fan.

I would love to have a good sounding exhaust but only if I had a diesel or LS motor. My 2F is a quiet non clattering wonder and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'm not kidding, if it's not making un-needed noises now...I'm doing good. It is no louder than the 2.7 3RZ in my Tacoma.

I have a Summit Racing 2.5" muffler on my FJ60. Headers --> 2.5" Cat --> Summit Muffler. Mild if you stomp on it, not noticeable on the highway. Mine for $28 IIRC. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom