Builds Finally got my own...Meet BeBe (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks guys. Yeah funny part was I had been thinking of switching to flats for some better skills training and just found a deal on some 510 Freeriders (2014 model for $70 shipped from 510) and was planning on switching soon.

For now the clips are getting retired especially when I am able to start riding again. Now to find some good pedals. Thing is I have crashed like this a thousand times every year over the years and never had issues. This just happened to be the one time where I didn't release in time/when needed and the foot caught wrong. I remember hearing and feeling the loud POP and thinking s*** there went my ankle.

As I keep telling everyone, just a hazard of the trade. Always have to make your annual blood donation to the mountain gods. This year was just a bit more than blood.

Well surgery went well and was pretty much in and out within less than 3hrs. Good thing was that they ended up doing the buttons and line so they will just leave that in there permanently. On top of that they put me in a boot now instead of the splint that went above my knee. Makes getting around so much easier. Should be interesting once the nerve deadening for the ankle wears off.

Good luck recovering, I go on holiday and you guys all go fixing turbos and flying trough the air like madman :flipoff2:
Do you have a slo mo of that? :beer:

LOL... I wish... was hoping the guy behind me had his GoPro on him but he said that was the one time he forgot to charge it. Said it was a very unspectacular crash and I agree. Pretty sure I have mimicked that crash multiple times every year, traditional just going around a corner too fast and the rear breaks loose while braking and then you just completely slide out and go down. This time my foot/heal/pedal caught on something.... and well that was the end of the ankle and leg.

Doc said at last weeks Post-Op that I was 6wks no weight bearing AT LEAST and then probably 3 months before I could drive. I am giving it the 6wks before I TRY driving. Hell my drive to work is only 10 minutes on city streets so if I can take the boot off and work the gas for those few minutes everyday instead of having to rely on co-workers to cart me around and/or waking the wife up early then I will. Too independent and anal to go through this for too long.

Sucky thing is that even if I had a welder at this point I really couldn't do anything with it as I am supposed to keep the leg elevated during most of the day. Was hoping to take care of some rust issues before the winter this summer but that is done for. Talking with Georg to see if he has any donor doors that are in good shape as I really need a drivers and rear passenger as those are the worst. From there, once I can start walking and putting some weight on it I am gonna hit my few rust spots I see popping up.

For the time being though, BeBe is getting driven by the wife on the weekends. She is driving it to the park with the dogs so it is getting some use and not just sitting... And so pissed, missed out on a used AISIN carb on ebay for $100!!! Looked in great condition just didn't bid soon enough, had I won it I was gonna send off to Jim or Mark and have it rebuilt by the pros.. oh well guess I gotta keep my eyes open.

Ok got a question for everyone... the other evening the wife took me for a ride in the Land Cruiser and we went up the mountain a little ways to see if we could see the Perseid Meteor shower. As I was sitting there I realized that the carb fan did not kick on after shutting off, later that evening when we got home I had her pop the hood and took a look to find that the sensor wire was dangling. At some point in the recent past I have lost the nut that holds the wire onto the sensor so does anyone know the size of the nut? I want to say it is something like a coarse thread M6 or M4 but can't remember for sure.

Also while we were headed up there I could strongly smell exhaust in the truck from the broken exhaust so will be looking to replace the exhaust soon (hopefully only run me about $400) and from there she is just waiting for me to heal up so I can drive again.

Funny thing was this last weekend the wife took her most of the day on Saturday because the 4Runner was having new brakes and the 90k mile service done. At one point we went out for a drive just because I was going stir crazy sitting on the couch and needed to get out of the house. I got in and in and instantly rolled my window down as it was about 90* out and that was at 7:30pm. My wife commented that she MISSED her car because of the AC and couldn't remember the last time she had sweat quite that much that didn't involve a workout of some sort. :rolleyes::grinpimp: I told her "Welcome to the world of No AC." This is what we call "hot as BALLZ" weather.. LOL even when my brother drove it back down from Tahoe a few weekends ago for me, another 90* day, he said he didn't think his nuts had sweat that much in YEARS. Guess these trucks are a bit warm inside!!!

Crazy to see that I got a recommendation on Facebook this morning that 4yrs ago today I purchased BeBe! I still had about a month to wait before I could get out to SLC to grab her but she waited and I have never been happier. With the busted leg and not being able to drive, let alone drive her, I have been seriously missing her.

Can't wait for this damn leg to heal and to get her going again.
Just because we all like pics.....
The day I picked her up!
HPIM1267 by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

and NOW!!!
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Lots of great memories and definitely more to come.

Funny thing was this last weekend the wife took her most of the day on Saturday because the 4Runner was having new brakes and the 90k mile service done. At one point we went out for a drive just because I was going stir crazy sitting on the couch and needed to get out of the house. I got in and in and instantly rolled my window down as it was about 90* out and that was at 7:30pm. My wife commented that she MISSED her car because of the AC and couldn't remember the last time she had sweat quite that much that didn't involve a workout of some sort. :rolleyes::grinpimp: I told her "Welcome to the world of No AC." This is what we call "hot as BALLZ" weather.. LOL even when my brother drove it back down from Tahoe a few weekends ago for me, another 90* day, he said he didn't think his nuts had sweat that much in YEARS. Guess these trucks are a bit warm inside!!!

My SO didn't mind the lack of AC. Windows down in that truck isn't bad at all. Considering the fact that the belt popped off the compressor in December, I drove it daily from then til May and then I've been gone most of the summer for work...I've missed the hottest part of owning it.

I did drop money on a Denso compressor, condenser and drier. It's charged and when I finally end up in Texas again...the truck will be waiting for me...and I'll catch the last two months of Texas summer in Sept and Oct.

Also had TRE's done after I saw your bailing wire fix. Bought 555 stuff from cruiser outfitters.

My SO didn't mind the lack of AC. Windows down in that truck isn't bad at all. Considering the fact that the belt popped off the compressor in December, I drove it daily from then til May and then I've been gone most of the summer for work...I've missed the hottest part of owning it.

I did drop money on a Denso compressor, condenser and drier. It's charged and when I finally end up in Texas again...the truck will be waiting for me...and I'll catch the last two months of Texas summer in Sept and Oct.

Also had TRE's done after I saw your bailing wire fix. Bought 555 stuff from cruiser outfitters.

Nice dude... You will be back to your girls soon enough. I don't mind the lack of AC, I grew up in the central valley of CA, so I am used to hot and muggy weather. The wifey not so much, but then again on long trips we take her 4Runner. Oh and the 555 are WELL worth it. I had them sitting in my parts box for like 2yrs and just never got around to replacing them, even when I hard the suspension apart. Well live and learn, if you are going to buy it as a "while you're in there" part, you might as well do it WHILE YOU'RE IN THERE!!!

It's 90 average with 100% humidity. I don't exist without AC.

I'm trying to get my 60 to the point that I can hop in and go cross county like my Tacoma. Following your thread has helped identify what may come up along the way. I like the truck too much to let it be limited in use.

It's 90 average with 100% humidity. I don't exist without AC.

I'm trying to get my 60 to the point that I can hop in and go cross county like my Tacoma. Following your thread has helped identify what may come up along the way. I like the truck too much to let it be limited in use.

Ouch dude... That sounds like when the wife and I went to Cabo for our honeymoon and you could feel the humidity when we landed BEFORE the doors opened. BLEH!!

On another note... I got a new part for BeBe today... will take pics when I get home. Nothing super exciting or anything like that but something I have wanted to get for a while.
Next month is my bday so I am talking with the BOSS about getting a welder. Specifically looking at the TWECO 141i or the Miller 140. Really will come down to price of the unit. Figure that it will really only ever be used for body work as my BIL has a huge Miller 350P (I think) as he is a master plumber. So if I ever wanted to do something like a bumper, sliders, frame work, etc. I could just use his.

LOL... well didnt realize that it had been that long since I last posted that I was going to put up pics...

Since my taillight lenses are completely smashed, one with a large hole in it, I figured I would take the plunge and purchase a set from eBay that came from Taiwan. These have been apparently sitting here for a few weeks but today I finally opened them and was pleasantly surprised.

What was even more pleasantly surprising is this....

They seem to be OEM Toyota lenses..... for $35!!!

They could be, BUT many knockoffs are carbon copies of the original, i.e. they use an original for the mold but the plastic and fit/finish certainly varies. Keep us posted how they hold up.

@cruiseroutfit Yeah that was what I was thinking too. Gonna see if I can get out and try them out.

Well just put them on and they are pretty damn close. No gaps or anything around the gasket, the little metal isolators for the reverse light fit pretty tight, not OEM tight but they stayed in place.. For $35 I am not complaining..

Old OEM on left and new on the right

Well I AM DRIVING AGAIN!!!
Doc gave me the ok to drive around town and to work (all of 2.5 miles away). PT and 50% weight bearing start today, wants me doing a "guarded walk" with the boot on and crutches for the next few days then I can ditch the crutches. In another two weeks should be able to ditch the boot completely and move to an lace up supportive ankle brace.

But the best part is that I can freaking drive again, 2mos of having people cart me around because of the damn crutches and not being able to use the leg SUCKED! Was happy to drive in to work this morning. Hopefully will be picking up a welder soon so that I can get some of the rust taken care of before the weather hits.

Ok so dumb question... How does one completely remove the upper tailgate?
I have a few rust bubbles that popped up a couple months ago along the edge so before things get worse weather wise I want to get the rust taken care of (along with a few other small spots. However, I remember that there is a wiring harness that controls the wiper and license plate light, does anyone know how hard it is to remove that (doing this on my own)????

Figure that while I am doing this it will give me a good chance to evaluate some other items.

Open the liftgate, disconnect glass heater/wiper/dome light wires, remove gas struts and four hinge bolts.
License plate lights are on lower tailgate.

I don't know how hard it is to remove (or how well the connectors will come out) the wiring from inside the liftgate as all my wires was cut off by PO.

GL. :cheers:

Open the liftgate, disconnect glass heater/wiper/dome light wires, remove gas struts and four hinge bolts.
License plate lights are on lower tailgate.

I don't know how hard it is to remove (or how well the connectors will come out) the wiring from inside the liftgate as all my wires was cut off by PO.

GL. :cheers:

Yeah see that is what I am wondering... I helped a club member remove one once and seem to remember that the harness was buried inside the headliner/roof area and he just pulled until it wouldn't come out and cut it off. Of course I don't want to do that.

Yeah see that is what I am wondering... I helped a club member remove one once and seem to remember that the harness was buried inside the headliner/roof area and he just pulled until it wouldn't come out and cut it off. Of course I don't want to do that.
There are connectors under liftgates small "service plates" that you can unscrew from inside. But i don't know will the connectors fit all the way out...

Yeah trying to keep away from having to figure out how to snake lines back through everything.. Guess I will just have to take a stab at it and see if the harness/connecter is long enough to pop out of the hole in the sill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom