Builds Finally got my own...Meet BeBe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

would like to keep it interchangeable for future date when I drop a diesel or Vortec into it.

whaaaat come on Greg we all know you just rebuilt your top end on the 2F... what you talkin bout man! 2F for life.

LOL @Miloslavich
Don't worry she will be in there for a while. Actually just did an oil change on her today with summer blend Rotella T 15w40, awesome thing is I found that Vatozone locally sells it in 1 Gallon bottles, quarts AAANNNDDD 2.5 Gallon bottles!!! Price for the 2.5 was $39.99 which isn't bad.

niiiice.. would be interested in seeing a Blackstone lab analysis of that oil after you run it..

Blackstone Labs

test kits are free, the report is 20 bucks. worth it to know if you are making metal, or leaking coolant at the HG...

niiiice.. would be interested in seeing a Blackstone lab analysis of that oil after you run it..

Blackstone Labs

test kits are free, the report is 20 bucks. worth it to know if you are making metal, or leaking coolant at the HG...

Yeah I had planned on doing a Blackstone a while back but never got around to it. Think I probably dumped the test kit. Will have to send away for another one and check what she is like in 3 months.

Well figured I would give and update, on myself more than BeBe.
Last Saturday I traveled with a bunch of MTBR forum members to do a memorial ride for a fallen member that had died earlier this year. Well got about 5 miles into the what would have been a 20+ mile ride and crashed. Rear tire slide out from under me while going around a very hard packed corner. My shoe didn't unclip as I went down and I ended up catching my foot on the trail as I went sliding across the trail.

Ended up breaking my fibula in two places (spiral fracture) and destroying my ankle (right leg). So I am out of commission for quite a while. Doc says no driving for 3 months at least.

Holy crap.
Whoever popularized the idea of clipped in pedals while mountain biking should have been put behind bars for endangering the public.

Sorry to hear about that :(

Yeah so here is X-ray. The thought of the clips is actually really efficient for climbing and coming unclipped is not overly hard. Not sure exactly what happened this time but fact of the matter is that I caught my foot and then it rotated and pulled under me, actually flipping me over the bike. I heard and felt a loud pop when it happened and knew my ankle was trashed. But to this extent I was actually surprised. Doc said to break my fib where I did takes a lot of torque on the bone which means either the ankle breaks as well or all the ligaments/tendons get destroyed. Mine was the latter.

So got surgery scheduled for Thursday this week, Syndesmotic stabilization surgery on the ankle and then just healing time. Doc says no weight bearing for at least 6-8wks and no driving for probably 3 months. Thing is that I have the splint going up my leg about 10" past my knee since I have to completely immobilize it to let the bone heal. Gonna be an interesting few months.

image.jpeg

Dude sorry for your pain! I MTB all the time in Mammoth as it is only an hour away. I often think about the consequences of crashing, but then I think it is still safer then when I used to Moto. God Speed on the healing:)

Last edited:
Ok yeah I a keeping myself mobile and looking into building a workout plan that will help keep some of my endurance and strength.

@2mountainfish funny thing is that I was just thinking of switching to flats for some more skills training and literally bought new shoes the night before. Well looks like next year will be the year for flats.

So talking with the doc on Friday and doing some more research on my own it looks like I am going to be pretty lucky if I am able to start driving in three months. Which means that BeBe will be sitting for a VERY long time without being driven or used.

I was able to get out and about this weekend and to work today and have had a lot of people tell me "though its probably not legal, why not just throw your leg over to the other seat and drive with your left? That's what I did when I broke....." Anyways, this has got me thinking about selling BeBe for either a 62 or an 80... Really doubt I could get much for her to be able to purchase something else right away but man does this suck not being able to drive, literally at this point I am relying on the good graces and charity of my co-workers, friends and family to cart my butt around. Hate, HATE having to rely on others that much, just isn't my style and make me feel like I am obligating them to something they shouldn't be. Wife can get me to work in the mornings but getting home is the issue because she works so late, is always double-booked and books 3 months out.

Did I say this sucks?!

Hang in there. Maybe you can find a POS import for cheap to drive until you are healed. Thats what I did to keep the commute miles off my 60.

Get a cane to push the clutch pedal! :steer:

Seriously though, heal quick Greg!

Thanks guys. I know if I sold her I would regret it forever but things that need done this year aren't gonna get done and some needed to be taken care of before winter. So may be getting some new panels and whatnot next year.

Funny thing, so when I broke the leg I had one of the guys that I was riding with transport me And the cruiser to my dads cabin. This weekend my brother and his wife carpooled up to the cabin and drove it to my house for me. When my brother got here as soon as he shut her off he said "I don't think my nuts have sweat that much in years!!" Yeah one of the disadvantages of not having working AC.

Crazy how an instant can change ones mind from Vortec to Vicoden. Sorry, couldn't help it...

Dude if I could swing loaning you my only Auto Trannied car I would... If it meant keeping BeBe

Ouch!
Heal up quick.
Get a beater camry for the next several months.

Get a cheap commuter.
Or...Uber home if wife can take you to work?
Rest up so you health well.

Saw your posts on facebook recently; that x-ray looks gnarly! :censor:

Do whatever it takes to not sell the 60... your recovery may take a while, but eventually you'll be back at it and glad you kept it.

Holy crap.
Whoever popularized the idea of clipped in pedals while mountain biking should have been put behind bars for endangering the public.:(
^^^THIS.
I've always ridden flats and wondered how nice it might be to switch to clipless for the climbs,... until last weekend that is. I just picked up a pair of riding shoes with soles so sticky it almost feels like they are clipped in. I've never ridden so fast and clean.

Greg.. get flats!!

Ive done quite a bit of DH Racing here in Australia. Not so much nowdays tho.
And had a few injuries over the years. Several broken arms and two concussions but all in all I count that as being lucky to be part of a sport that has given me so many great memories and friends.
Hope u a speedy recovery:)

But I must say I Allways rode with Shimano DX Clipless.
When charging thru rock gardens and jumping big I liked to know my feet wouldnt slip off and just felt at one with the bike more.
But the flats with pins and good grippy shoes do look pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom