1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filling seams

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by fr8train, Sep 8, 2003.

1. fr8train

fr8train

Well I am doing a little more resto. work than planned with my project :p. I finished making the rear quaters and started to tack some other parts in. I know I am going to be using POR15 followed by a good coat of Herculiner(interior). Would this enough to seal the seams on the panels or would it be a good idea to just to use seam sealer from CCOT ::)? Thinking I could also just take the TIG and "drip" seal.

2. dd113

dd113

I use duraback as an undercoating under the tub. Works great and prevents rust. Hercuilner on the inside. Best stuff ever. I would buy 3M panel sealer from NAPA. Just get a caulk gun and go for it. Much cheaper then CCOT for better stuff.

3. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    2nd vote for NAPA seam sealer. gooey junk that lasts forever.

4. 1Fine40

1Fine40 Rust Buster SILVER Star

Does the NAPA/3M stuff get hard or does it stay pliable? Also does it take a coat of paint very well??

Thanks

5. cruiserhead

cruiserhead

POR15 also makes a seam sealer.Sealed all seams then painted POR15 on so far holding well.About $15 a tube though.

6. fr8train

fr8train

Thanks for the tips guys. Getting some very mixed reviews about POR15. I've used it for other things and had no issues. Dont know if a bad batch has gone out or what. Herculiner is def. going on the inside, interested to know if the 3M stuff will take a paint and if its pliable or not.