1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fiberglass tubs

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Jackson, May 14, 2003.

1. Jackson

Jackson

advantages: light, won't rust
    disadvantages: more damage when "rubed" on rocks/trees, harder/more expensive to repair

Anything else worth mentioning?

2. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Wiring/grounding issues.

3. Jackson

Jackson

ooooh, yea - didn't think of that one. That could prove to be an issue. Thanks.

4. Sparky_Mark

Sparky_Mark

Don't be mislead by anyone when they say you can "just bolt it on". Since fiberglass is weaker structurally, you need to seriously consider making structural improvements (like a sub-frame) for the body. You need more than 12 body mounts for fiberglass. I assume that this is a consideration only for vehicles that may be driven on public roads - it may not apply to "trail only" rigs.

I built one of my cruisers with fiberglass. I was very disappointed with my Malotte tub. It was littered with "blowouts" (air gaps between the gel coat and the resin) that made me very angry when finding a few of them after a very expensive paint job.

You may also be spending a lot of time cutting holes in the firewall and dash to fit all of your original equiptment accessories.

If I were to do it all over again, I would stick with metal. It will allow you to finish your project much faster.

...Just my opinion
    If I were to do it again

5. Sparky_Mark

Sparky_Mark

Don't be mislead by anyone when they say you can "just bolt it on". Since fiberglass is weaker structurally, you need to seriously consider making structural improvements (like a sub-frame) for the body. You need more than 12 body mounts for fiberglass. I assume that this is a consideration only for vehicles that may be driven on public roads - it may not apply to "trail only" rigs.

I built one of my cruisers with fiberglass. I was very disappointed with my Malotte tub. It was littered with "blowouts" (air gaps between the gel coat and the resin) that made me very angry when finding a few of them after a very expensive paint job.

You may also be spending a lot of time cutting holes in the firewall and dash to fit all of your original equiptment accessories.

If I were to do it all over again, I would stick with metal. It will allow you to finish your project much faster.

...Just my opinion
    If I were to do it again