1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fender flare question

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Guest, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Can the rubber strip between the body and flare be replaced without removing the flare?

thanks

doug

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Supporting Vendor Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
  3. Rogue

Rogue

Removal is fairly easy though. &nbsp:Don't sweat it.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

OK 2 MORE Q'S THEN......

(1)there is an approximate 4 inch or so wide strip at the bottom(rocker area)that has a textured finish....and i wonder how that finish is put on? tape? or paint additive? anybody?

(2)concerning above question,could this be applied to the flares or is a rhino type better?

reasoning is i have a big scratch in the front drivers flare and a peeling rubber strip on the drivers rear flare and if i gotta take em off to replace the rubber strips i might as well have the scratch fixed ie:get em painted and i thought "now is a good time to try the rhino or textured finish instead of trying to make it match 7 year old paint"

problem is its hard to find a "good" recommended rhino applier locally(so far anyway)so i thought about the texture on the rockers........

doug(just hashing out some options)

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Supporting Vendor Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    That is a textured "rock guard" that is sprayed on and then painted over. If you want a textured finish you would probably be better served by the bedliner stuff. It would probably be cheaper as well. Also, if you take a nice chunk out of it you won't see the underlying color.

6. Keep

Keep

If you dont have a rhino or line-x dealer in your area try Duplicolor's spray on bedliner. Christo turned me onto it and its great stuff. Its much less expensive than Line-x or Rhino, easy to get good texture with, and you can pick it up at Autozone, Walmart, etc.

7. scottm

scottm

Media:
    I just saw Herculiner at Tractor Supply, the example strip looked nice, thick textured. The kit comes with a small sponge roller and quart, should be perfect. I talked with Line-X, they can't tape off the car and paint in place, taking flares off is a lot of work I've heard. $103/gal, $31/qt, didn't get the price on the kit.

8. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Herculiner's website shows it in red & gray also, my truck is gray, hmm.

9. Keep

Keep

In my experience spray on turns out much better than roll on.

10. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Friend of mines got a herculined tub he did himself, looks quite good. However, on a curved surface such as the fender flare, I would go with what Keep did.