FAQ suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
ok folks, there have been some requests for FAQS. I am going to start a series of stickied threads for folks to contribute towards which I will then convert into faqs.

-The obvious one is a list of suppliers/sources for parts

-A second would be for popular universal trailer mods
-brake controller
-bearing buddies
-axle swaps

-Next is common repair/maintenance

-finally, would be to collect model specific mods/repairs especially the military trailers

any other suggestions for faq topics are welcomed...

One topic that comes up once a month is the question of changing the hub patterns on the military trailers to the 6 on 5.5" Toyota pattern. Might make a good FAQ section.

what do you guys think about a trailer pic thread? it would be a good place for people to get ideas and maybe some inspiration for their trailer build up.

that's a good idea. offroad trailer gallery

Currently looking for M101 SOA replacement shocks (Longer) so as lots of people do this mod why not list a part number or two?
I think stickys are a great idea for common trailer questions:cheers:

so is there any answers out there to the questios at hand in the first post.

One topic that comes up once a month is the question of changing the hub patterns on the military trailers to the 6 on 5.5" Toyota pattern. Might make a good FAQ section.

+1

Allthough after a little research, I have found that you can buy a complete new axle with the correct bolt patern, and electric brakes for 250.00. 3500lb, with the ability to get a width to suite whatever offset rim you would like to run.

So in my opinion its a better way to go. Also there may be some value in the old axle to collectors.

my .O2 cents

I think some general trailer building tech would be a good idea (axle location for balance. frame designs, etc.) Also some ideas on building a trailer out of a pickup bed.
The best collection of this sort of info that I've found is this book:
"How to Design & Build Trailers, vol. 2"
Northern Tool

Amazon

There is a volume 1, but I've not read it, no idea how useful it might be.

My two cents on controllers which you can get at any rv forum, get an inertial electric controller like the Tekonsha Prodigy and skip on any time based or constant output controller. Use a standard Bargmann 7 pin connector which allows for lights, brakes and charge circuits.

NAPA, ask for shocks for the M38A1 series Jeep or the CJ5 both will fit , piston diameter is the difference

+2

Also include information about the differences in lug nut threads between Toyota OEM and the 1/2" standard on the replacement trailer hubs ... i.e. factory lug nuts wont work.

I know this has been beat into the ground but maybe a place to compare, find, and purchase different couplers / hitches? Maybe a testimonial sections on likes or dislikes of the different designs and models available? And finally a good place to purchase them in different parts of the world?

I know this has been beat into the ground but maybe a place to compare, find, and purchase different couplers / hitches? Maybe a testimonial sections on likes or dislikes of the different designs and models available? And finally a good place to purchase them in different parts of the world?

I'm a big fan of the multi-axis coupler.

not my pics, just GIS
I have this one for the current trailer.

Had this one on the old trailer.

Car haul trailer mods
Tie down strap review:

How to best tie down your junk:

Small cargo strap review:

Strap points?
Tires tech?
Brakes (electric and hydraulic)?

I use www.e-trailer.com for most of my needs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom