Fan Clutch Service (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, depending on the fan type. If you have that exploding, POS ring type fan, replace it with a new non ring type before doing anything with the clutch.

what? i've never heard of that, how do you know if you have it or not?

Basically, over years of sitting in an oven that can vary from subzero temperatures to over 200 deg, the fan gets brittle or otherwise develops defects. Sooner or later it explodes, shredding the hoses, belts, battery and hood.

It's the plastic fan that has a molded in ring around it's outer circumference. If your fan blades look like normal fan like in your house, then you don't have to worry. You'll know it if you have it. I think only the 3.0L had them, not the 4cyl.

hmm my brother has a 95 4runner so i suppose i ought to tell him to do something about it. that definetely sounds no bueno. it's good to know should i ever get one. (probably never)

I belive the ring fan was dropped with the addition of the front mounted electric pusher. I know my '94 didn't have a ring fan.

The later 3.slows had a normal fan, not sure of the change date. My '90 had an electric pusher and ring fan. TRD supplies the 3.slow ring fan in the FZJ80 supercharger kit, with all of the drama it has caused you would think that they wouldn't even sell them as a replacement!

I'm getting a lot of clicking at various RPMs from what I'm 99% sure is my fan, I'm wondering if that would be a bearing issue ? I'm thinking I should just grab another fan off a junkyard truck and toss it on.

where do you get the o ring for a 22R fan clutch. anywhere or only from the stealership?

where do you get the o ring for a 22R fan clutch. anywhere or only from the stealership?

As Bear80 said they aren't serviced from Toyota, most of the time they are reusable. If not there is a standard o-ring that will work, but I would need the dimensions from the ring groove on your clutch to lookup the correct part number.

:doh: I'm smart. i was kind of in a hurry so i misunderstood what you meant about it being a non replaceable part. i thought it was a non reuseable part. i went to hobby lobby to find silicon but i couldn't find it. so i guess i'll look on ebay or somewhere else.

ah... i see. i'll look for one of those around here in Ft. Worth.

To remove the screws holding the fan clutch halves together I used a c-clamp to provide lots of down pressure on the screwdriver bit and then used a 1/4" wrench to turn the bit. Once the screw turned I removed the c-clamp and used a regular screwdriver. I may replace the screws with bolts as I messed up the head of one.

I haven't seen it as a part from them. It could be made from a strip of the right type of rubber. Also it's not really an o-ring. It's cross section is rectangular.

I finally pulled off the fan clutch off my 1985 22R Pickup for service/rebuild. I was experiencing a slow rise in temperature at idle and determined that the fan clutch maybe the source of my problem.

Please see picture. I think the one I have is a replacement one and not the original OEM AISIN one. Am I correct?

If that is the case, is it worth servicing/rebuilding it or should I just get a OEM replacement? I read somewhere that the non-OEM replacement ones are not very good and perhaps that is why this one, if it is a replacement one, has already gave out.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for your help
Fan clutch.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom