Fall Color in the Catskills -- Gauging Interest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Catskills

SILVER Star
Media Partner
Threads
Hey guys,

I am thinking about leading a group of folks on a Catskills tour this fall. I am thinking we could start at Rt. 299 and 44/55 in New Paltz, have breakfast here...

Menu

Then drive over the ridge, which is always beautiful and we would have miles' worth of views of the Catskills, then drive some dirt roads that we drove back in August with some stock Cruisers and all did fine (my two have a few new scratches).

Then we could camp somewhere if folks are game or we could drive down into Ellenville and enjoy what Aroma Thyme offers...

Aroma Thyme Bistro Hudson Valley Restaurant

...which is what we did back in August as well.

This would be a Saturday, or Saturday into Sunday if we camped. I am already camping in the Adirondacks the last weekend in Sept. but I'm open to other October weekends. Columbus weekend will be busy up there, FWIW...and many of you might be at the Yankee Toys thing anyway...

Will be at the YT Fall Gathering, and doing a little Long Island FJ40 tour the following weekend... but would love to come along if the time winds up working.

I am in if the dates work.

10/22 works great. we would camp for sure.

I have permission to bring rigs up to my friends property in Stamford. That would mean an hour and a half worth of driving time after the last dirt road, but very scenic up that way and worth it. I'll attach some pics. here from the campsite.

It would be fun to camp there, cook dinner and breakfast there, then be on our way.

Possible weekends are 10/8, 10/15, or 10/22. I would lean toward 10/15 if it seemed workable for folks.

October can be cooollldddddd in Stamford, so bring your best cold weather gear. I used to do an endurance race up there and the horse's water troughs used to have 2" of ice by the morning. And that was Columbus weekend!

Who's in?

Here is the thread from August and the roads we did...

Hundy Party in the Catskills

IMG_20160727_074504105.jpg

IMG_20151107_161516588_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
I missed Dave's Place the last couple years, can't ever do CMCC, and my truck is on its last legs, but this sounds like fun. Tentative yes.

8th is the only one that I can do--and that's looking a bit iffy, so don't plan around me.

I am leaning towards the 15th, but because of personal reasons. I had surgery on my hand last week, so selfishly wanting a further date to let my hand heal. i most likley can make the 15th too.

So maybe we should plan on 10/15?

@anavant do you care if our group is tiny? I'll see if I can get my buddy Nate up the road with his 80s to join us.

Hoping some other folks get on board...

@titanpat57

@landylover21

My wife Melanie and I have an "all ready to go" FJ60 and love camping and exploring off road as much as possible.

Oct 15 is open on my calendar, am checking with her about availability.

Mac Kirkpatrick
Glenmoore, PA

Sorry, haven't been on this site in weeks! Been busy with all the fall season music ensembles so no time to check in.

I'll have to check my schedule availability for October, but assuming I can go, then I am in.

@landylover21

Rich, I have a super warm 3 season, 3 person tent you can borrow if you want to camp.

Last edited:
Sure...depending on the date I would be down. I have VOR end of September and it's looking pretty good for the Cover event end of October.

I wrote dates too soon. Im not free 15th, but am open 22nd. I dont mind what the size of the group is...

@CatskillsRunner

Sounds good, I just need to know the date so I can put in my PTO for the weekend (relatively soon, as the scheduling system here takes at least three weeks in advance to give notice).

So guys. Can we say the 22nd?

Sorry @drbeemer73 I know you were checking on 10/15 already...

This is also a kid friendly trip. We'll have our 6 year old in one LC and our German Shepherd in the other. If any of you want to bring dogs make sure they are either obedient or have ways to tie them. Bow hunting season will be underway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom