Fairey Overdrive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought an 87 FJ60 with a fairey overdrive. Anybody have information on this unit? Thanks.

I was curious, too. There is a 3 speed with a Fairey on Ebay.

It might be the one I saw today also. It was on an FJ55, but the unit looked very different from mine. Wish I had a digital camera.

Very different units. Not an expert, but it's something like this:

Split case transfer: Fairey unit replaces the rear part of the case.

One piece transfer: Fairey unit bolts onto rear of transfer case on tranny output shaft. Three speed and four speed units are different due to tranny output shafts.

I know the guy that is selling the fairy overdrive on ebay. He is on this board as well as Helocat. It's in good shape and has been tested before. Wish i had it on my cruiser so i could get better gas milage :flipoff2: If you want to ask mark any questions about it give him a pm either on here or on pirate4x4.

Travis

I have the fairey for my 60. What do you want to know?

Great! Are there any operating limitations that I should be aware of (Can it be used in any gear, etc.)? Is it serviced like the normal transfer (should it be filled with normal gear oil up to the fill plug)? What kind of reliability can I expect and are there any replacement parts available? Thanks.

Great!  Are there any operating limitations that I should be aware of (Can it be used in any gear, etc.)?  Is it serviced like the normal transfer (should it be filled with normal gear oil up to the fill plug)?  What kind of reliability can I expect and are there any replacement parts available?  Thanks.

Operating limitations:

None really that i know of; however, due to it's very nature as an overdrive, it is somewhat weaker than that stock split case.

That being said, even the weakest split case is stronger than the earlier cases, so to answer your question: not really.

I wouldn't use it in conjunction with an SM420 and a 454, but with the stock setup and 36's, i don;'t anticipate any problems.

Is it serviced like the normal transfer case?

Yes, gear lube and all.

Reliability is supposed to be pretty decent, which is good, becasue finding parts is somewhat of a challenge. There are a few outlets, i think, but i can't imaigne you'd need anything other than gaskets, etc., during the time you own the vehicle.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom