Factory Amp & Alpine Stereo Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just did the budget Crutchfield install my self, came with wiring harness kit that had good instructions. It did bypass the amp I think. The door speakers are all I currently have but it's way better than the original brick. 92 fj80.

I'd like to know if replace the factory amp with an aftermarket amp using the same cables? Has anyone tried that?

I got a whole setup from Crutchfield, and installed it on Friday night.

Take the harness that connects to the 2 "outputs" of the amp. The 3rd plug (the one on the furthest right side of the amp) is the input from the factory HU.

Take the harness you've got, and add about 18" of wire to each, then splice it into your new aftermarket harness that comes with your stereo. Colors should match up. Don't connect the power antenna cable to anything.

This bypasses the factory amp, but uses the outputs from the amp to the 4 door speakers. I lost the miniature dash speakers, which were crap anyway.

The plug-ins that are right behind the factory HU just don't get used.

FYI, Crutchfield's information showed every step and had much more detail than I expected. The only thing they should have said instead of just extending the wires was how long to extend them, or make their connecting harness have about 2ft of wire on each, and then you can shorten it to match your setup.

Which cable is the power antenna? I did a pioneer install over the weekend and i now have no control over my antenna manually and it does not raise or lower by itself any longer.

These are the two plugs you use. Go buy an adapter from Walmart or somewhere, tie it into the HU's harness, then plug and play!

BTW, those two plugs completely bypass the amp. Sounds MUCH better.
View attachment 264289
Thread bump. Does anyone know what this white plug is on the left from post #12?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom