1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facing Safety Pad removal?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Perfect_Obsession, May 28, 2003.

1. Perfect_Obsession

Perfect_Obsession

Bonjour,

I have to remove wiper mechanism. I removed 5 retaining screws and 2 bolts but the safety pad still resist.

Do you have some tricks?

P.O.

P.S.: I have a 1978 Canadian FJ-40

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

There's a set of clips across the back. You have to push it in, I believe to get them to release.

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Bon jour, PO.

If it is like my 71, and I believe they are the same, the clips are part of a strip of metal welded onto the firewall, and the whole process inserts into a slot along the back of the pad. The clips just clamp onto a metal strip screwed into the Dashpad/safety pad. My clips were rusted quite solidly to the dashpad metal strip, which is inaccessable when clipped, and removal therefore required GREAT FORCE, if I recall correctly, in the form of a pry bar. The clips are at an angle to the firewall, facing upward and to the rear, about 60 degrees off vertical, so pry up and back.

IDave

4. Perfect_Obsession

Perfect_Obsession

Thanks everyone.

I got it. I pushed clips with screw driver and pulled up & back at the same time. Nothing rusted.

Therefore I was able to reposition wiper blades. They were pointing the sky when stopped. Now they rest at the bottom of the windshield.

Thanks again. :bow:

P.O.