EZ Wiring Harness - turn and stop lights - need help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm installing an EZ wiring harness into my '67 FJ40 and need some help. I'm using an original early turn signal switch (6 wires, see picture), an original brake switch and original tail lights. The diagrams that I'm showing are from the 1958-7/1970 chassis body manual.

My first area of confusion: The wiring diagram shows 3 wires going into each tail light (brake, turn, park seem to all be separate). My lights definitely only have 2 wires and the EZ wiring harness has only 2 wires for each light (turn/stop and park). Can someone explain to me why there are 3 wires shown going into these tail lights?

Can someone give me some advice on how to wire this? I think I have the rear section wired correctly (tail light wire to the less bright wire on the light, and the turn wire going into the brighter wire). The brake lights should run on the same wire as the turn signals..

Wiring the switch is pretty straightforward until I get to #5 source of electricity and #6 stop switch (straight to the stop switch, but where does the stop switch go to?)

If you guys can help me get this straight, I'll post up a detailed wiring diagram (EZ harness to original FJ40 parts) to help people in the future. I've done a lot of searching on this, but can't wrap my head around it. I'm open to using a trailer converter if that's what I have to do.

I'm also wanting to add a hazard switch to the mix here, but I don't have an original one. Just a push/pull on/off switch. If this complicates things too much, lets leave it our for now.

3wire_taillights.jpg

combo_taillights.jpg

turn_signal_switch.jpg

EZ_wiring_harness.jpg

There are only two wires: Turn/stop and running lights. The extra wire in the diagram goes to the trailer socket, so it is probably a return wire from the stop/turn.

Adding a new hazard isn't too difficult: Take power from a constant power fused circuit, add a switch, a flasher and then run the flasher output to F/R, LR turn lamps. You need to put a diode in at each connection to the lamp, so that there is no "cross talk" between L and R and the brakes and turns when the flasher is off.

Here's an idea that someone gave me: Use the 3rd brake circuit on the EZ harness to run the brake lights with a diode for each light to keep it from screwing up the turn signals. That should work, right? Then, all I need to figure out is the turn signals (separate from the brakes).

Wiring the switch is pretty straightforward until I get to #5 source of electricity and #6 stop switch (straight to the stop switch, but where does the stop switch go to?)

The source of power to the turn signal flasher should be a fused circuit that is hot only when the key is on. Then the output of the flasher goes to the power input wire of the turn signal switch.
The brakes get power from an always on fuse and from there to the brake switch, then the turn switch and then to the rear turn signal lamps.

Here's an idea that someone gave me: Use the 3rd brake circuit on the EZ harness to run the brake lights with a diode for each light to keep it from screwing up the turn signals. That should work, right? Then, all I need to figure out is the turn signals (separate from the brakes).

The turn switch itself disconnects the front turn lamps when the brake is on and when the turn signal switch is on, it over rides the rear brake light on that side. No need to do anything except wire the switch up properly.

A 3 amp diode should be plenty for the hazard lights. If you reuse the original switch, you won't need diodes to prevent back loading the hazard circuit when it is off.

I got it working. Apparently I was running on low sleep earlier. I just needed to swap some turn signal switch wires. For an early cruiser at least, you don't need to do anything fancy. Just wire it up like it says.

How goes the wiring? I'm just now getting back into my fj and we seem to be at the same point of rebuild similar year cruiser and same wiring harness if you ask me I would have got the painless kit instead of the ez but maybe I'm just thinking the grass is greener anyway thinking maybe we could help each other threw the process or if your done then maybe I can pick your brain a bit save me some trouble lol cheers! Hope to hear from you soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom