Extra simple high clearance rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Threads
Worked on this last weekend. I was tired of having the hitch bolted between the rails so I decided to tuck a bumper up there as tight as possible. 2x2 1/8" square tube.

Before anyone tells me how under-built and worthless it is I'd like to say something. Ahem. This is not an expo rig. I keep my spare in back. This currently cost about $30 and should not go much higher. I don't plan to bash down trees and back into Super Duties and if I get rear ended this 80 is probably totaled no matter what kind of bumper I have. That being said - don't hold back!!

I personally like the high and tight look. It's probably not for everyone, but it's always fun to see what else is out there.

Chopped and notched the frame. That hanging orange strap indicates the rear most point of the body.

image.jpeg

Cap frame. Notch and bend tube.
image.jpeg

And that's about it. I'll be adding some gussets and tie it back to the frame further under the vehicle. I might add a hitch in the middle at some point.

Looks kind of like an elephant sat in a plastic baby pool.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I guess some side/corner protection is not necessary? Definitely a gold star for simplicity.

Well done!

Here is more food for thought for you:

image.png

My bumper also barely extends to protect the upper hatch. It's a massive improvement in departure angle and is lighter than stock (the hitch probably equalizes things).

The recessed hitch (flipped and welded to the frame) was an add on and is also welded to the bumper. I still want to triangulate off it to the bumper for even more added strength, but never seem to get around to it.

The quarter panels are trimmed, reinforced, and sealed. I cut hockey pucks to go between the trimmed quarters and side brace tubes - they act a bit like extra body mounts and prevent hits on the outer tube from slamming into the body.

Anyway, I think you have a really functional start - weight reduction and departure angle improvement are goals that pay off big time.

Here is my original thread. Lots of pics and discussion here up to the point I added the hockey pucks.

Rear Quarter Panel Clearance Cutting - New Technique

And the hitch...

Welded In Recessed Drawtite Hitch

That stuff used to look good! I have some serious priming and painting to do before winter...

Last edited:
Personally I would add some diagonal bracing.. if you look closely the stock rear crossmember has diagonals and is the primary part keeping the frame rails from going parallelogram on us. none of the other crossmembers have such significant cross-bracing.

Other than that... yes.. super simple.

I guess some side/corner protection is not necessary? Definitely a gold star for simplicity.

I may. But it will happen after I cut and cap the 1/4 panels. Or I might just leave them to be bashed. This 80 doesn't see much action.

Personally I would add some diagonal bracing.. if you look closely the stock rear crossmember has diagonals and is the primary part keeping the frame rails from going parallelogram on us. none of the other crossmembers have such significant cross-bracing.

Other than that... yes.. super simple.

I plan to. It's not welded on yet. I'll gusset the points where it welds onto the frame and I'll tie it back down the frame rails about a foot.

Well done!

Here is more food for thought for you:

View attachment 1314292

My bumper also barely extends to protect the upper hatch. It's a massive improvement in departure angle and is lighter than stock (the hitch probably equalizes things).

The recessed hitch (flipped and welded to the frame) was an add on and is also welded to the bumper. I still want to triangulate off it to the bumper for even more added strength, but never seem to get around to it.

The quarter panels are trimmed, reinforced, and sealed. I cut hockey pucks to go between the trimmed quarters and side brace tubes - they act a bit like extra body mounts and prevent hits on the outer tube from slamming into the body.

Anyway, I think you have a really functional start - weight reduction and departure angle improvement are goals that pay off big time.

Here is my original thread. Lots of pics and discussion here up to the point I added the hockey pucks.

Rear Quarter Panel Clearance Cutting - New Technique

And the hitch...

Welded In Recessed Drawtite Hitch

That stuff used to look good! I have some serious priming and painting to do before winter...

I followed this when you were building it! And was what I had in mind when building this one. I have thr factory hitch that I plan to add pretty much exactly how you did.

Reactions: Nay
If it was 3/16" you'd be surprised what it would stop! Really like it for it's simplicity, form and function.

Looks good! I had a similar design in mind for my rusty 60 that also included 2x2 sides to go under chopped quarter panels. You could actually make a design like this "look nice" (not that it doesn't look good, but more "finished"), by welding a hitch reciever onto the bottom and then adding some slanted plates (matching the angle of your frame cut) to fill in the gap on either side of the reciever. Wouldn't add much weight, and the only part that would have any impact on departure would be the reciever itself.

I love the simplicity. Ugly as sin but really, who cares?

Does form follow function or function follow form?

Looks good! I had a similar design in mind for my rusty 60 that also included 2x2 sides to go under chopped quarter panels. You could actually make a design like this "look nice" (not that it doesn't look good, but more "finished"), by welding a hitch reciever onto the bottom and then adding some slanted plates (matching the angle of your frame cut) to fill in the gap on either side of the reciever. Wouldn't add much weight, and the only part that would have any impact on departure would be the reciever itself.

Well that was my original plan. Basically a 4x4 labs looking bumper, but then I started thinking about how much dirt mud and road grime would get packed in there. Then I realized this 80 is dented with s***ty paint. THEN I realized I just didn't feel like f***ing with it.

After all that the decision was easy. heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom