External Inline Fuel Pump recommendation...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mr. Zero, what symptoms arose when your msd 2225 pump started to go out? How old was it? That is the pump I will be running to feed my LQ4 and I have heard mixed reviews on whether it is adequate for supplying fuel to a Gen III motor.

As far as regulators go, my understanding is that you can really run whatever style you like- the Vette filter with integrated regulator and the dead head rails with no return, keep the regulator at the rails like you have now, or any other configuration you like. I'm assuming you don't want to replace your rails, nor would it be necessary for a stock 5.3 motor, so the route you chose is probably the easiest and least expensive.

Symptoms: Louder than normal whine at idle (much louder), the pitch of the whine varies significantly with gear and RPM, loss of acceleration (for some reason especially lower gears), stalling, and then after all of these finally no starting until it's sat for at least 30 min. But then, the next day it will run like a top, though overall the whine is louder than normal. Like I said, the pump may have gone prematurely due to a bad FPR, old filter element or it was just a s***ty pump. On the stock 5.3 it has supplied fine as far as I can tell.

I have the fuel filter element and the FPR replaced, but I'm still waiting for this fuel pump from Bosch Fuel Pumps (which is one of the order fronts for Inline Motors in LA...). I FINALLY got an email from "Sheri" who instead of giving me the model number and specs for the Walbro pump they want to sub for the Bosch like I asked, simply told me that it will "fit just perfectly" and that she would send it right out. Did I mention that BOTH the phone numbers for Inline are disconnected? Luckily, the transaction was done through Paypal, so I have recourse if I don't get the pump or it's junk or a model that will not fit my application. All of this sucks though as I don't want to run the truck until I get a new pump in there.....

FYI: Earls has the metric fittings needed to fit the bosch pump if it doesnt come with the barbed ones. they will adapt the metric inlet and outlet to -AN stuff so you can easily plumb it. Took me a while to find a way to use the 910 I bought... great pump, no troubles.

Sorry to have missed this - If your 5.3 has a fuel return line, then it has the FPR built onto the fuel rail - it's that easy Corvettes are a different story, using a filter with the FPR built in there, and a short return line back to the tank.

I'm using a '04 Tahoe 5.3, and a Walbro pump mounted under the passenger's feet - and it works great. The Walbro pickups do have a 40-70 micron screen in them that acts as a pre-filter.

Pierburg makes an awesome in-line pump. OEM on Porsche, Jaguar, etc. Have run them on several turbo setups with great results. They are capable of 150psi if you dead head the output line. I highly reccomend.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys......I still don't have my pump from Inline Motors or whoever the hell they are. I'm going to initiate a Paypal claim and get my money refunded. So now I'm going to look for another source for probably a Walbro.

I have been running a Summit EFI pump w/ my 5.0 and have no issues other than it is a bit loud behind the seat.

I had the carb version and hated it because of the noise level + went through 2 of them because they kept leaking from the base plate:eek: returned the 2nd one and got an Edelbrock Quiet-Flo Electric Fuel Pump. $150ish so far so good and the best part is it actually quiet- had it for 8 months. They have a EFI version that should work for your needs

Thanks for all the recommendations guys......I still don't have my pump from Inline Motors or whoever the hell they are. I'm going to initiate a Paypal claim and get my money refunded. So now I'm going to look for another source for probably a Walbro.

Try the Airtex that Howell sells? 165 bucks...
That sucks that you got scammed!

People are RUTHLESS anymore!

i dont suppose any of you guys running external pumps have problems with fuel starvation. In all of the lsx conversions i've done including my own i run an in-tank pump with some sort of pond/internal baffles, fortunatly the stock tank in my 60 has a small isolated pond in it. This is where i landed my GSS341 in a housing i made. It works well in the situation that fuel level is low, vehicle at steep angle, or in most situations high rate of acceleration (fuel goes to the back and depending on pickup location an external pump starves and premature wear occurs) Just a thought.

I ordered and received a new pump from Jegs. On a hunch I ordered their "Jegs" brand inline pump and when it arrived I was right: It's a Walbro GSL-392. Installing tomorrow finally.

Paypal claim in full effect against Inline Motors. These guys seem to sell fuel pumps from several different websites including their own. Boschfuelpumps.com, expressfuelpumps.com, Inlinemotors.com, etc.......If you're in doubt on some other website, just compare their phone numbers (which are disconnected btw) and you can see it's all the same "company".....

Got the pump in.....it's WAY quieter than the MSD ever was. I'm impressed. Looking at all my fuel lines though, I'm going to go ahead and re-do all the connections from the rail and switch to braided hose and move the fuel filter down to the frame rail just after the pump.

One thing I have noticed since installing the pump and changing the FPR is that I seem to have less pedal power in 3rd and 4th.......I don't know if this is because the new pump is putting out less fuel or the the new FPR needs to "break in" or something......I miss the power though.

Got the pump in.....it's WAY quieter than the MSD ever was. I'm impressed. Looking at all my fuel lines though, I'm going to go ahead and re-do all the connections from the rail and switch to braided hose and move the fuel filter down to the frame rail just after the pump.

One thing I have noticed since installing the pump and changing the FPR is that I seem to have less pedal power in 3rd and 4th.......I don't know if this is because the new pump is putting out less fuel or the the new FPR needs to "break in" or something......I miss the power though.

Can you adjust the pressure at all?
Got any pics of how you ran the lines and where you ended up putting the pump and filter?

Thanks,

K

I don't think there's any way to adjust pressure other than sending more volts to the pump. I need to check the voltage that's making it to the pump anyway.

I ordered all the hardware and hoses I wanted to replace my current setup and I'm installing this weekend. I'll take pics along the way!

Have you checked your pressures under load? the FPR may not be working properly / stuck.

I've been thinking about that.......the FPR is brand new.....I suppose it could be bad or I somehow installed it incorrectly. The old one I pulled out had one less large o-ring on it that the new one. But I checked the install area thoroughly before I put the new one in.....When I put the new lines and fittings on, I'll uninstall the FPR and check everything out again.

I need to find an inexpensive pressure tester.....

Well, I won my Paypal dispute. Those a-holes never even responded to my claim, so Paypal "recovered" my money and refunded it to me!

I ordered some incorrect hard-line adapter fittings, so I won't get to the line-replacement until later this week...still will take pics.....

Well, I won my Paypal dispute. Those a-holes never even responded to my claim, so Paypal "recovered" my money and refunded it to me!

I ordered some incorrect hard-line adapter fittings, so I won't get to the line-replacement until later this week...still will take pics.....

Glad to hear that you got the money back!
Im getting so tired of hearing about good people getting screwed!
Nice to hear at least they didnt get away with your money!

Looking forward to the pics!

K

Finally got some pics of the lines....I somehow ordered two hose fittings short, so I still have to build a short section from the pump intake to the gas tank.

0pqrqipx2g.jpg

aq2fcu85yq.jpg

btqlmidhvs.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom