exploding spark plugs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
They shoot land cruisers don't they? Maybe I should shoot mine. I need some help so I am going to have to give you some backround. I needed new points so I figured "good time to get a new distributor" I install the new distributor and a new volt regulator because I fried the old one while installing a painless harness :D I know I'm a pro mechanic LOL. Anyway, I was trying to get the vehicle started with the new distributor and it was giving me a hard time then eventually the vehicle backfired REALLY loud. I then started to go over everything and when I pulled the number 1 spark plug I found that it had apparently exploded in the cylinder. The prong was still attached but badly bent up and the entire center of the plug was gone, somewhere in my engine. What do I do? What caused this? Could it have been the backfire that blew the plug out because I had flooded the engine in the process of trying to get it started? I really want to drive my cruiser but I'm afraid if I put in new plugs and atempt to start it I may screw things up worse at this point.

Thats real bad luck.What I would try 1st is get your mums vacuum cleaner and make a new nozzle out of some metal fuel line thats thin enough to fit down the spark plug hole and try and suck any leftovers out. Probably best done with the piston at the top of its stroke.If there is any metal bits in there you maybe able to use a mechanics magnet.If its just 1 or 2 pieces and you get them both it should be ok.The only really safe way to do it,and I think you know this, is to take the head off. I would ask an old mechanic for advice 1st.Theyve usually seen everything

One more thing are you sure it went inside and wasnt blown out of the engine. If this happened the spark plug lead would have been off as well.

And again never under estimate the explosive force of petrol. I soaked my motor with water 2 weeks ago and tried to start it and the force blew the internals out of my muffler. Ive been told by a muffler and exhaust fitter that is possible to put dents in the floor doing this.

Thanks, I was sure that I would have to pull the head but I just needed someone else to tell me for it to really sink in. It is possible that everything shot out the tail pipe but I doubt it and I'm not willing to chance it. I guess this means its a good time to pull the engine and do that rebuild that I have been wanting to do. Oh well... thanks again

funny you should say, they do indeed shoot cruisers. My po must have gotten sick of mine as there is a bullet rip in the bonnet, but it didn't quite die. :)

Try the vacuum cleaner 1st
Funny you should mention that, I went out pig shooting a while back and someone put a .22 magnum down with a bullet in the spout and shot a hole in the FJ 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom