1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust system for v8 fj40

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by lostnate, May 3, 2003.

1. lostnate

lostnate

Does anyone know if there are prebent exhaust kits available for chevy v8 converted fj40's? Also, has anyone tried using blockhugger headers with v8 conversions that also have a saginaw power steering conversion? Will there be enough room between the steering shaft and the engine block?

Anyhelp is appreciated.

2. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

I used to run blockhuggers with a Saginaw. There was enough room, but your conversion may be different. My whole exhaust system was made at the muffler shop with aluminized tubing. It cost me $150 w/o muffler, with an exit behind the rear pasenger tire.

Dave

3. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    blockhuggers are great....summit for $80 I think....and no, there isn't a prebent-option for exhaust, I had a custom crossover made with a single exhaust out the back, ran about $200 IIRC. Any decent small exhaust shop can bend custom stuff easily. Avoid the big places, make sure you fine a shop that understands exactly what you want.

4. theo

theo

Another thought:

I wanted dual exhaust for the notes but I let the shop talk me into running the tubes under the frame and mounting the mufflers under the rocker panels, with the exits in front of the rear tires. Big mistake since the tubes and mufflers are all susceptible to crushing even from minor wheeling situations. You should try and keep the entire exhaust system above the level of the frame.

5. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, a great shot of my exhaust system...all above the frame, has never been crushed....and yes, there have been many many many opportunites to crush it!  lol

Only change I would make now is a center in-offset out muffler rather than offset/offset.

6. theo

theo

A selfless act of kindness tipping your cruiser over just to answer a question on the forum. That's dedication!

7. burrows

burrows

I would go with the block huggers, they just are more out of the way. I am running the outside framerail style and they work fine but i have hit my mufflers multiple times.

burrows

8. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    When going to the muffler shop (I'm using block huggers) I insisted on 2 things ... Dual 2 1/2" lines all the way back and I wanted the pipes turned down behind the rear wheels (like on old Nova's and Chevelle's). Happy with the results and it all fit.

Sorry, I haven't flipped it over for a picture yet.
    Good Luck,
    R

9. cmilliron

cmilliron

It's all relative to how much time and $$$$ you are willing to spend... I love to fabricate in steel... so the only choice for me was a hand made set of tuned headers that fit, are turned, and put the muffs between the frame rails...

Lots of folks sell header kits on line...

10. Slowerthanu

Slowerthanu SILVER Star

Woody, have I mentioned how much I love that pic :D

Gettin' it!!!!!!!

If you run dual exhaust inside the frame try to fit an H pipe in the equation, it will help with low end torque delivery and it will sound much better.