Exhaust manifold leak? (tick tick tick sound) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When accelerating or when reving the engine, I'm hearing a distinctive "tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick" or maybe it's more of a "click click click" sound . I'm thinking this most likely is an exhuast manifold leak at the header. Any of ya'll heard the "timex" sound coming from under the hood?
-thanks
swagdan
87 fj60

Assuming that you have a Toyota F or 2F engine, you do have solid lifters, which will be louder than an engine that has hydraulic. When was the last time that you adjusted your valve lash? Perhaps this is all that it is, unless you see an area that the exhaust gasket is burned out and you can feel the hot exahust gasses on your hand.

Good luck!

-Steve

A regular ticking sound like a sewing machine is probably your lifters, as mentioned. I doubt a manifold leak would sound at all like that. Your lifters SHOULD be making such a sound. If not, your valves could be adjusted too tight.

I was hoping it is "suppposed" to sound like that. One of my buddies said it sounded like a manifold leak.....Thanks to this board I can keep learning.

I guess I'll just tell all those who ride with me that my cruiser is pretty fast considering all them hamsters are churning away underneath the hood....and that's what's making the clicking sound. :D

-swagdan

An exhaust manifold leak gives a similar sound, only less distinct. The lifters make a sharp tick sound, exhaust more "blurred" sounding but still kind of "ticky". You should make sure which it is. Exhaust leaks can cause serious trouble.

I'm pretty sure it's the more distinct sound rather than the blurred sound. We're going to the N. California Landcruiser Dr. in early January for a "physical" ...I'll add this to the list. Thanks again.

Pop the hood and use the throttle linkage to slightly rev the motor. If you have an exhaust leak it should be fairly apparent, if that's it try tightening the header bolts, sometimes they come loose. If that's not it, adjust the valves if needed.

It would be easy enough for you to spray carb cleaner around the manifold edges while the truck is running. A marked change in rpms will occur if there is a leak. Cheap and easy test, and then you can torque your manifold nuts and recheck.

Sounds like a classic exaust manifold leak. It will get louder the more load you put on the engine. Try flooring it in 4th gear.

Operating a solid lifter engine, for an extended period of time with the valves out of adjustment has been known to damage camshafts, and other valve train components. It is adviseable if you have not had this done, or the previous owner did not, that you check into this. Valve lash should be checked with the engine hot .008" intake and .014" exhaust.

Good luck!

-Steve

TICK vs tick

I'd say if it is a TICK then you will notice while powering up a hill, hard accelerating and can here it inside, I went through mine and missed the donut gasket that goes on the front horn and that one leaks still. The ex. manifold seemed to not want to mate to the pipe right- it might have given out, then I found this neat little hole in the back of the smog pump that blows air, stuffed a bolt in it, still runs. Don't bother fixing it unless you are going to fix it all and do it right. Like I should have.

I was thinking when you said you wondered about a leak at the header, that you meant you have headers. Did you mean at the cylinder head, and that you have a stock manifold?

Any chance what you are hearing is a ping? That would also be more prominent at accelleration or under load.

Anybody know if there is supposed to be a doughnut gasket where the pipe meets the manifold? Mine is leaking at that point on the front connection, and does not look like there is a gasket in there?

absolutely, there should be a doughnut.

Thanks IDave. I will have to pick a couple up from the parts store "if" they have one. Any idea how much?

If you have stock exhaust setup the "doughnut" is actually a narrow, thin, flat doughnut with a metal ring around the instde and outside. I got mine from Toyota. Pretty cheap if I remember right.

On the mainfold leak, assuming a stock setup, it has been the experience of many that putting two(2) OEM Toyota manifold gaskets on will cure the leaking problem. I did this and have had no problems since. My .02

Jody.

[quote author=swagdan link=board=1;threadid=9111;start=msg79232#msg79232 date=1072135401]
When accelerating or when reving the engine, I'm hearing a distinctive "tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick" or maybe it's more of a "click click click" sound . I'm thinking this most likely is an exhuast manifold leak at the header. Any of ya'll heard the "timex" sound coming from under the hood?
-thanks
swagdan
87 fj60

[/quote]

does it go away or get quiter when warmed up?

it might be what the other have said. But it also might be the EGR cooler pipe gasket leaking or the bushing for the thingy under the carb........what the heck is it called?

But both of these are VERY VERY common leaks on a fj60(or 40) this summer I replaced 3 of them on 2x 82 fj40 and 1x 86 fj60.

easy enough to check with a piece of hose stuck in your ear and they other end poaking around till you hear where it's comming from.

John H

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom