Every time it gets cold my Master Cylinder leaks. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1986 FJ60 will leak (I think) fluid out of the master cylinder every time it gets cold. It is OEM and lately I just notice the clutch is a little wonky and I put dot 3 fluid in and I am good to go.

I find it odd though that my 1993 jeep which has a 2 year old master does the same exact thing. On the Jeep there is a quick release underneath that I think somehow engages.

I just thought I would post before I begin the project of replacing. Could it be that I am using the wrong fluid? synthetic Lucas dot 3 brake fluid? Any of you guys have any thoughts? It just seems hard for me to believe it is a leak when it does not happen all the time.

I only found one reference in searching to the master cylinder replacement...I will certainly look deeper.

All DOT 3 is synthetic.
Bench bleed the MC before you install it if you want to be extra particular about it, otherwise just purchase another quart of DOT 3 and bleed through the pistons and calipers well.

mc not suppose to leak.....if leaks ...the choice is to replace

New development!

Its not when its gets cold. Something else is going on....

Its warm today. I shut the car off and was making calls just sitting in the truck. All of a sudden I hear a thunk thunk thunk right at the spot where the master cylinder is....I looked under truck and no fluid.The thunk had a click to it....sounds electrical. Wild.
I guess I will look into replacement.

Last edited:
that may have been the carb cooling fan coming on, its located close to the master. the carb fan will kick on when you turn the key off, it will run for up to 20 mins

The clutch master normally leaks inside the cab on the firewall, if you look up above the clutch pedal you will see rubber boot, which I am going to guess has some fluid coming out of it

Also its best to replace the master and slave at the same time, easy and pretty cheap

so far as buying one....would you say there is a "better" one than all the others? I learned the hard way on oil filters by not asking. :)

Toyota is normaly best, but the higher quality ones from Napa seem to be just as good(maybe the same), used both with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom