Epoxy Primer on Frame What next? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mosscreekwinery.com
I am having my frame sandblasted followed up with 2 part epoxy primer. So what is next? I understand that it should be painted in the next 2 to 3 days for best results.
What should I use for paint? I spoke to a paint store and they suggested the same epoxy paint with 10% thinner added. I asked what was 10% thinner and her reply was I dont know it is just what it is called. I believe this is a PPG product and is called DP epoxy. I asked what DP epoxy was and again "I dont know, that is just the name" I would like to paint the frame with a brush because I dont have a sprayer and I have never sprayed paint out of anything but a can before.
My Frame is supposed to be ready for pick up on Monday. Also, should I just call a auto paint company and have them shoot it just to get it done so I can begin my buildup. Thanks for any help.

If it were me I would have them shoot it in Dupont's Imron, maybe a satin black if they have it, i know with imron your colors are limited. I have imron on the inside of my truck and its super durable. thats my best guess. It is kinda thick so you can get runs easily but Im not sure if you are having someone spray it or you spray it. Again if it were me and it was already at the painter id give them the go the paint it so you can move on with the project.

good luck!

edit: i just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask a few motorcycle shops what they prefer. The use the toughest paint out there and could tell ya better than anyone. hope that helps

I will look into it. What kink of paint is Dupont Imron? Can it be painted with a brush. Please remember this is just the frame and axels.

Last edited:
Picture of frame before sandblasting

I wanted something i could brush on, but after talking to several professionals, I decided to have it sprayed with DCC900 Black Polyurethane paint. But you then add a Urethane Hardener and dryer compound so the 1 quart makes 1.5 quarts sprayable. Cost $138.41 for paint etc.... The shop that is going to spray the paint for me estimated another $200 for a few hours work. We shall see. I will post pics when its done.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/members/mcwinery-albums-begining-picture4185-69-lc-b-sb-frame.html

mcwinery-albums-begining-picture4185-69-lc-b-sb-frame.html

How come I cant put an image in the posting?

sounds good, should be pretty tough and cheaper than por15, i did my axles with por15 and it held up well, but its getting way to expensive.

Cost for painting frame and axels. .................$400 labor and About $270 for Paint. Not such a great deal, but It is sure pretty. I will post a picture.

i powderkoted mine but i guess you dont want to spend that much money but its the best. i paid about 700 that included sandblasting. also bumpers were included and a few things more
landcruiser 4 011.jpg
landcruiser 4 013.jpg

If they're priming it with DP90LF (PPG's black epoxy primer), then would they be able to shoot it with a paint color?

If you don't want to spray it, I'd use POR-15. For mine, I'm pretty sure that I'll just put DP90LF on my frame, and call it good. The stuff is super strong, and looks real close to chassis black.

Dan

If they're priming it with DP90LF (PPG's black epoxy primer), then would they be able to shoot it with a paint color?

If you don't want to spray it, I'd use POR-15. For mine, I'm pretty sure that I'll just put DP90LF on my frame, and call it good. The stuff is super strong, and looks real close to chassis black.

Dan

Dan, I'm no expert but most primers are hygroscopic. In other words, they absorb moisture. I would check with someone that knows but every primer that I've ever used requires a top coat for this very reason. Again, not an expert on the product at all but something to check into.

I did my axles with POR15 and their chassis black topcoat. I'm very very impressed with the product.

DP-90, if I'm not mistaken can be used as a sealer when mixed with 10% reducer.

That would be 9 parts primer and 1 part reducer for the guy who couldn't find 10% thinner. ;)

I want to do my frame in epoxy primer without a top coat so I'll be doing some research to confirm that.

i powderkoted mine but i guess you dont want to spend that much money but its the best. i paid about 700 that included sandblasting. also bumpers were included and a few things more
That frame is fxxxing cool man. You got one hell of a deal ....price wise:cool:

DP-90, if I'm not mistaken can be used as a sealer when mixed with 10% reducer.

That would be 9 parts primer and 1 part reducer for the guy who couldn't find 10% thinner. ;)

I want to do my frame in epoxy primer without a top coat so I'll be doing some research to confirm that.

That's exactly what I hear.

I repeatedly asked the paint jobber here about exactly this (of course I would have been buying the chassis coat from them) and they INSIST that sticking to the DP90LF is more than good enough.

I'm not positive though that it isn't because I live in a dry state, so there's not much moisture to absorb.

Dan

Dan,

I'm just curious, why would you not want to put a topcoat over the primer? Is it because it's the color you want and there isn't a topcoat in that color? I'm honestly not picking at you but I am interested in learning.

Thanks,

Dan,

I'm just curious, why would you not want to put a topcoat over the primer? Is it because it's the color you want and there isn't a topcoat in that color? I'm honestly not picking at you but I am interested in learning.

Thanks,

I'd just as soon put a topcoat on it to get the correct color. But the DP90LF was as close as I've seen for Toyota chassis black, and the guys at the paint store (a real one, not a big chain type with johnny-come-lately staff) have talked me out of buying more paint.

They actually thought I was crazy when I suggested putting a top coat on the DP90LF. Wierd, eh? I'm tempted to spray a chunk of metal with it and then let it sit outside, in the snow, rain and sun for a while to see if I see ANY degradation in it.

A lot of the primer black hot rods around here are simply painted with the DP90LF.

I hope I don't regret it, as taking everything back apart just to put a topcoat on would be a PAIN.

On Dad's 40, I'm using POR15. I don't mind taking a chance on my cruiser, but on his...

Dan

Looks beautiful.
Quick question, does the powder get shot into the inside of the frame as well?

I hope I don't regret it, as taking everything back apart just to put a topcoat on would be a PAIN.
Dan

Those are my thoughts exactly! Which is why I wouldn't risk it. I'm from the school of overkill though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom