Engine trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
4x4him.com
Yesterday, while out wheeling, an ongoing problem raised its ugly head again. I have had this problem for some time and have not found the cause or the solution yet. I hope that one of you motor heads can help me out. The problem I have is a loss of power when the engine gets hot. When the temp gauge gets to the top of the normal mark, my engine wants to die at even the slightest obstacle. Once I let the engine cool down, I can climb right up. I remember a few years ago I had the same problem, but at all temps, and it turned out to be a vacuum leak (bad brake booster). I have checked for vacuum leaks and have found none. For reference sake the engine is a stock ’71 F with a stock distributor set to 11*BTC, stock carb from a ’75-’76 LC, and compression is 140-145 on all cylinders. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Randy

sounds like a fuel problem, vapor lock, carb boiling off or something?

John H

I once had a Ford which did this and it turned out it was the fuel pump.Seemed as it warmed up it lost pressure and died on the hills and would regain it when it cooled.Had plenty of mechanics fooled and I drove it half way round Australia before it was fixed.

[quote author=Cruiser4Randy link=board=1;threadid=5503;start=msg44672#msg44672 date=1064461034] Oh well, time for SBC this winter anyway.[/quote]

Almost every carburetor ever installed has some kind of heat shield setup. Many times it's a phenolic spacer between the carb and the manifold. Is yours missing? Beats the heck out of an engine swap just to climb a hill! :)

[quote author=Cruiser4Randy link=board=1;threadid=5503;start=msg44672#msg44672 date=1064461034]
I posted this question on another board to see what others think of this problem. I have gotten a few other ideas to think about. Pin Head nailed it though, I think. He believes that the fuel is boiling out of the bowl and flooding the engine. Remember, the engine only does this when it is hot, real hot. Once I let it cool down it will start right up and run up any hill. The only solution to this problem is to not let the engine get that hot. Oh well, time for SBC this winter anyway.

Thanks to all

Randy

gee what did I say? :flipoff2:

John H
[/quote]

[quote author=theo link=board=1;threadid=5503;start=msg44757#msg44757 date=1064500563]
Almost every carburetor ever installed has some kind of heat shield setup. Many times it's a phenolic spacer between the carb and the manifold. Is yours missing? Beats the heck out of an engine swap just to climb a hill! :)
[/quote]
So do american cruisers come standard with a heat shield?.I guess Ive owned about 30 vehicles and only a few of them had a heat shield and my landcruiser is certainly the biggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom