Engine temp during summer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to see what kind of engine temps you guys are seeing when you are climbing a hill in your 1FZ during summer time. The highest engine temp for me was 212 degrees, 134 intake temp, and around 87 degrees outside. I wasn't towing anything and AC was off. The reading for engine and intake temp was from Ultra Gauge. Would you guys consider this to be reasonable?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my 80-series had two adults (including me), 70 lb dog, and loaded down with about 200 lbs of gear.

Last edited:
What speed were you traveling, on a dirt track, highway, crawling?? Traveling 55mph on pavement at Sea level, 90-95"F outdoor temp, I see ~188-190'F.

Sounds like it's time to change the oil in the fan clutch. I had similar temps changing the oil dropped it to 185-190.

What speed were you traveling, on a dirt track, highway, crawling?? Traveling 55mph on pavement at Sea level, 90-95"F outdoor temp, I see ~188-190'F.

Same, I live @ sea level & mine's right with Kernal's.

2 yr old real Toy t-stat, ~5 yr old blue fan clutch, unmodded.

It was a dirt trail and the climb wasn't that steep, but you can definitely feel a slight struggle. I think I was going about 35-40 mph but don't remember. I forgot to mention that my 80-series had two adults (including me), 70 lb dog, and loaded down with about 200 lbs of gear.

You have any idea if you're still on the original fan clutch?

The load you listed is essentially nil (~650#'s) - that's less than most the bumpered / slidered / winched, etc, etc 80's here.

I'd see how easy that fan spins by hand, if you have any local buddies with 80's see how their clutch feels by comparison.

97 LX. ARB bumper, sliders, 33's. Landtank fan clutch and aftermarket radiator (approx. 1 yr old.). Loaded down with all family and gear in the GA mountains this weekend. 87 degrees outside, running approx. 50-60 in the mountain highways with AC running full blast. Usually cruised around 190-194. Hit 199 on steep hills and 195-197 on shorter hills. All figures via Ultragauge.

I usually run about 3-4 degrees cooler when truck is unloaded and weather isn't so hot. Hope this helps.

supposed to hit 100+ this week so i'll see what it does, just replaced the fan clutch oil
Now this is just driving around town but around 95 outside the hottest I saw was 190 at a stoplight

You have any idea if you're still on the original fan clutch?

The load you listed is essentially nil (~650#'s) - that's less than most the bumpered / slidered / winched, etc, etc 80's here.

I'd see how easy that fan spins by hand, if you have any local buddies with 80's see how their clutch feels by comparison.

I think it is still on original fan clutch and spins freely by hand.

I wanted to see what kind of engine temps you guys are seeing when you are climbing a hill in your 1FZ during summer time. The highest engine temp for me was 212 degrees, 134 intake temp, and around 87 degrees outside. I wasn't towing anything and AC was off. The reading for engine and intake temp was from Ultra Gauge. Would you guys consider this to be reasonable?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my 80-series had two adults (including me), 70 lb dog, and loaded down with about 200 lbs of gear.

Please forgive my ignorance but how are you guys getting the exact temp numbers ? I only have stock gauges. Im not trying to steal your thread just this is info id like to have....have my own running hot up a hill thread going....Thanks

I think it is still on original fan clutch and spins freely by hand.

When you say "freely" - does it continue (aka 'wheel of fortune') to spin if you give the blades a hard whirl, or does it go 1" further before oil viscosity brakes it?

It shouldn't act like it's on ball bearings, if it does your clutch is done.

My 96 LC is probably around 5500 lbs, on an OME lift and 35" tires, and sticks around 190-195 in the Texas heat. I read that with a Scanguage II. I think I saw it hit 200 when loaded with the family of five and gear for a beach trip going down the road at 75 mph and AC on full blast, 95-100 outside temp.

Please forgive my ignorance but how are you guys getting the exact temp numbers ? I only have stock gauges. Im not trying to steal your thread just this is info id like to have....have my own running hot up a hill thread going....Thanks

I'm using an Ultra Gauge (similar to ScanGauge).

When you say "freely" - does it continue (aka 'wheel of fortune') to spin if you give the blades a hard whirl, or does it go 1" further before oil viscosity brakes it?

It shouldn't act like it's on ball bearings, if it does your clutch is done.

Oh sorry. Freely as in no noise or grinds. I do see that the fan will turn initially then slow down/stops once the oil viscosity kicks in.

Fan should come to a stop right quick, if it does the 'wheel of fortune' thing you know it's time to service / replace - might be the totality of your problem?

Definitely not like wheel of fortune. lol The highest I have ever hit on the rig is 212 this past weekend which is why I wanted to see what others were getting and if it is reasonable. Overhauling the cooling system will be on my list for this summer.

I had those temps and a bit higher after a half hour highway drive and then holding a steady 25MPH across about 3/4 mile of soft, rutted sand in 80-90* temps. I was unaware that I had a slight coolant leak in the system. I had this leak for a long time without knowing because it was just a hairline crack in the upper radiator tank. Put in a new one and the same drive stays under about 203* I think.

The only time I have seen temps over 210 is when I was towing a 3000lb trailer over the cascades doing less than 40MPH in 80 degree heat. That's with stock gears, 33's and a supercharger. You have something wrong. It could be the fan, the radiator, engine oil or even the antifreeze. Make sure the radiator is clean and not blocked, like with a couple of ten inch lightforce driving lights on the bumper.

I have the OEM copper core radiator (93/94) along with an unmodded blue clutch and the temp has never gone over 194F during stop and go traffic with AC blasting. Ambient temp was in the low 90's.

I have a blue hub with 20k in it and no mod and on the freeway at 65 to 70 it will run shy of 200. I'm at around 300 asl and it's over 100 outside. I have a snorkel, roof rack, and an arb front bumper.

I see between 185-192 with ac on in summer at around 90 degrees.As far as intake temp I to use to see 140 or higher in the summer but I've installed a snorkel this winter and so far my intake temps run 10 to 15 degrees above the outside temperature. Cooling all stock with Amazon blue hub fan with 15,000 oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom