Engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422069962.761267.jpg

Here is a pic of the injector connector that is brittle.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422070026.166062.jpg
upper intake all nice and clean
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422070051.287284.jpg

Head is ready for installation!

Woohooo. Can't wait to see it!

Started working on the harness and the valve cover. Here I dropped some liquid electrical tape on the area the touched the egr tube.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422140629.007679.jpg

After multiple coats I wrapped that area.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422140765.796965.jpg

Then I inspected further and found this little repair in need.
I am not sure what this goes to...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422140825.007536.jpg

here is the valve cover before paint.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422140866.393574.jpg

Last edited:
Finished valve cover
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422215091.671912.jpg

Inspected the harness for more cracks... Ooh wee. Really old insulation.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422215157.305743.jpg

The number 5 injector seems to be a problem at the connector and where it splices into the main bundle.

The valve cover looks great. What brand of paint/color did you use?
It is the VHT paint that you find at autozone, this can came from Napa. It is the wrinckle plus black color.

$_3.JPG

I used one whole can. I prepped the cover with oven cleaner and then spot cleaned with TB cleaner. I did a final cleanup with a 3M wipe product for final prep. I left the cover out in the sun over the last 3 days and then in my trunk and in the sun in a DIY attempt to bake it a little.

I taped off the surfaces where the bolts will need to touch so that we don't get any discrepancies with torque.

The weird thing about the paint is that when it went on it looked slick black, hi gloss coat. I decided to be patient and not mess with it. The next morning I woke up and looked at it, and it was all textured. Awesome!

Last edited:
with regards to the coolant drain plug issue...

Here is a pic of the boss in the old block.
IMG_3127.JPG

Here is the same boss in the new block. The threads are not the same and the bottom of the hole has a different profile. The new coolant plug was exactly the same as my existing one.

need to get to the bottom of this issue.
IMG_3129.JPG

It actually looks like a machining process did not get completed on that block. The depth of the hole is less on the new one, as if there was supposed to be a hole bored with a seat machined into it and it didn't happen. Check w/ Beno. He will be the know-all-see-all.....

It actually looks like a machining process did not get completed on that block. The depth of the hole is less on the new one, as if there was supposed to be a hole bored with a seat machined into it and it didn't happen. Check w/ Beno. He will be the know-all-see-all.....

Thanks for the input. Beno has the same set of pics.

New injector connectors came in and I got them installed. Easier than I thought. The plugs on the wires were in really good condition for a 17 year old harness.

Decided to just tap the existing hole for the oe coolant drain plug.

Other notables, the tech still needed the 4 dowel pins on the rear of the engine block. And he is still confused over the egr tube gasket.

Tech didn't know what part number 11448-66010 was for. Very important part! Don't leave it out!

Kudos to Beno for patiently supporting the tech help.

Here is a pic of the coolant plug in new block

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422914379.686846.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this impression on the timing chain cover is normal?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422914469.156190.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422914481.606578.jpg

At first it looked like a crack. But it's too perfect of a semi circle. But can't explain its purpose.

Anyways. Progress!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422914543.295499.jpg

Answer:
Then I inspected further and found this little repair in need.
I am not sure what this goes to...
View attachment 1022182

This is the connector that attaches to the crankshaft position sensor.

Pretty head
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422971968.326189.jpg

Not sure if the old head gasket is original or not. Here I have the old one on bottom and the new one above it for comparison. Interesting changes in the design.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422972027.594082.jpg

Looks like your making good progress. Keep going and putting up the pics. We're watching....o_O

Bottom is old design. Most aftermarket's I looked at are still that design. Redesign is in area that leaks start. Of all the parts on these that gasket is #1 in my opinion to use oem T

More pics of progress today
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422987077.394355.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422987102.425042.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422987117.776497.jpg

Not sure how this happened, but in this different light and different angle, I can see that my paint job on the valve cover was not so perfect... paint sags on the sides... :(

Woo hoo!

Last edited:
Bottom is old design. Most aftermarket's I looked at are still that design. Redesign is in area that leaks start. Of all the parts on these that gasket is #1 in my opinion to use oem T

Good information. I feel better about this build now.

You should take some sandpaper or solvent and scruff the paint off the letters on the valve cover. Would make em pop.

Great progress. Wish I could do this with mine.

You should take some sandpaper or solvent and scruff the paint off the letters on the valve cover. Would make em pop.

Great progress. Wish I could do this with mine.

I was wondering how to do that, but I thought the surface would look better if it wash machined. I may try that later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom