Engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick question to you all, when the engine harness came out, there was a spot where the harness laid across the egr tube. The wire harness was melted thru the heat tape, plastic tubing and the wire insulation. Bare wires exposed.

Is this a known issue? I don't recall anyone uncovering melted harness before.

Yes unless you want to replace the entire harness with the brand new one I have collecting dust in my garage :flipoff2:

Head is off to the shop along with the intake manifold. Mechanic says that the block and rotating assembly looks good. I little bit of oil burning from the #6 cylinder. Head gasket was intact.

I left my camera at home today, doh. So I will post pics later.

The new short block is getting trimmed out now.

Wooo Hoo!

I would look long and hard at your melted harness, Now there has been stress added to the melted cracked loom. Be thorough repairing this and save yourself some poss. grief. Good Luck

After pulling the oil pan and checking the noise, the mechanic determined the the rod knock like sound is actually the power steering gearbox check valve. We replaced that and sure enough the knocking it gone.

So now the question is what to do with the engine. I have a brand new short block.

Should I sell the new block or install it and sell the used block?

I have a knock after replacing the pump. Was that part easy to get at /check?

I have a knock after replacing the pump. Was that part easy to get at /check?
We put on a new steering gear and the knock went away. I tried blowing compressed air backwards through the valve on the gearbox which did nothing.

Not sure how to diagnose without replacing the valves in the ps gearbox.

The gearbox is easy to access from wheel well behind a splash cover. I pulled off hoses from it from the wheel well without removing the front wheel.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421523124.648243.jpg

Idle time waiting for head work... Decided to paint the grille. Keeping the chrome. I am kind of a romantic when it comes to color so I am trying to stay with the color scheme and chrome.

Thinking about painting the valve cover next. Thinking about the crinkle black...

To date, the only challenges have been small:

The mechanic is new to Toyota's and doesn't have a good knowledge of all of the gaskets and such. They did not know to measure and re-use the head bolts, did not know to re-use the timing chain sprockets. And have stopped trying to get the dowels out of the old block. (I think they got one out but scratched it up real good.)

Luckily, I already replaced the oil pump cover fasteners to allen heads so we avoided that learning session.

From an age perspective, the engine wire harness is real fragile. Its hard to handle it without worrying that something important is breaking.

Question... the shop with the head is 'recommending' milling, 3 angle valve grinding, valve guides and adjusting work.

I haven't overheated the engine and head gasket is in really good shape for the age.

I feel like the milling is an overkill.

What is the recommendation from the forum?

Last edited:
I come from the engine rebuilding world and the "while you are there" world. I may not be the best person to ask ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I elected to have it milled. I decided to spend time on my budget numbers to make sure I haven't overspent or over committed. A couple of things may come off of the 'wish list'.

Another issue that couldn't be avoided, the coolant drain plug out of the old block would not transfer to the new block. I will take a pic of the new versus the old plug when it comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom