Engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So... The rig has 215k miles on it and it started a knock that indicated main bearings.

I made the decision to swap the engine. Need the truck to keep hauling kids and such.

Beno is helping me with a short block and parts.

Any interest in posts and picks?

Last edited:
Knocking is most likely the rod bearings, why not just pull, throw new bearings/rings/gaskets in it and reinstall?

I did my budget rebuild for $700 and it should last another 200k...

Knocking is most likely the rod bearings, why not just pull, throw new bearings/rings/gaskets in it and reinstall?

I did my budget rebuild for $700 and it should last another 200k...

Around 175k I found the intake hose cracked. I don't know how long I had been pulling in dirty air. So based on that I figured that the damage is probably more than what it sounds like right now.

Also, mechanic is doing the work and he didn't feel comfortable warranting a rebuild.

Big day today. The short block arrived.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420550284.461346.jpg

And now I have a complete set of parts for the mechanic to proceed.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420550321.416687.jpg

Here is the rig in the "pre-op" room.

Thank you Onur for all of the help. You really helped take all of the stress out of the parts side of the job!

After pulling the oil pan and checking the noise, the mechanic determined the the rod knock like sound is actually the power steering gearbox check valve. We replaced that and sure enough the knocking it gone.

So now the question is what to do with the engine. I have a brand new short block.

Should I sell the new block or install it and sell the used block?

After pulling the oil pan and checking the noise, the mechanic determined the the rod knock like sound is actually the power steering gearbox check valve. We replaced that and sure enough the knocking it gone.

So now the question is what to do with the engine. I have a brand new short block.

Wow....just wow...

Return the new shortblock to @beno. He can mark it as used, slash the price, and sell to me. :D

PM incoming.

Rice

If you can afford it, keep the short block and start building it on a stand in your spare time or as time and $$$ allow. It sounds like you use your truck as a daily driver with kid hauling, so get it back on the road and drive it with the secure knowledge of having a new "drop in" when the current motor finally gives up the ghost. At your mileage it wouldn't be unheard of to suddenly loose the head gasket. When the current motor gives up, pull it and sell for parts or whole, drop your new one in over the course of a weekend and carry on.

Well, I am all in.

I agree with the new engine philosophy as I have specific demands from the domestic manager...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421265289.976933.jpg

Her she sits waiting for the hoist.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421265239.638768.jpg

Old one is out of the carcass!

Solid choice on putting the short block in, that's another 20 years of carefree driving.

Engine is now being taken apart.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421372114.282136.jpg

And the injectors are ready to be sent out.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421372153.151311.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421372162.097576.jpg

I am excited! I forgot about all of the little things I wanted done. Like the PHH hose!

Quick question to you all, when the engine harness came out, there was a spot where the harness laid across the egr tube. The wire harness was melted thru the heat tape, plastic tubing and the wire insulation. Bare wires exposed.

Is this a known issue? I don't recall anyone uncovering melted harness before.

If you can afford it, keep the short block and start building it on a stand in your spare time or as time and $$$ allow. It sounds like you use your truck as a daily driver with kid hauling, so get it back on the road and drive it with the secure knowledge of having a new "drop in" when the current motor finally gives up the ghost. At your mileage it wouldn't be unheard of to suddenly loose the head gasket. When the current motor gives up, pull it and sell for parts or whole, drop your new one in over the course of a weekend and carry on.

I did this with my 68 Camaro. Drive it with the 454 it had while I was rebuilding...slooooooowly the original numbers matching L78 396 that came out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom