Engine choices... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at a fj80 that has a blown motor/or needs attention. I was looking at doing a 6BT swap but seen the price for that swap, $20k from a reputable company to do it.

Also was thinking of doing an LS1 swap. I have seen that there is a transmission swap needed among a few other things. What is needed to do that swap correctly?

Would it be just easier to swap the new motor from an FJ80 into the 91-92 body?

Thank you for your time and input.

Scott

You can use a V8 from a Tundra...

If I was in need of a rebuild or a new motor I would be doing an LS swap. Lighter, WAY more power, 15-20% better fuel economy, runs way cooler and is easy to keep cool, and parts are everywhere and cheap.

Sounds better too by a country mile.

So IMO LS all day.

Yeah I was not too impressed with the sound of the Cummins 4bt as it sounded like a tractor, hence why I would rather go with 6bt.

Yeah I was not too impressed with the sound of the Cummins 4bt as it sounded like a tractor, hence why I would rather go with 6bt.

The last vehicle with a 4bt I was in there was a LOT of vibes coming from that motor. Not the smoothest running of the diesels Imo.

If I were starting from scratch with no motor, I would probably do a LS small block. 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2 pick your poison. 4.8 and 5.3 will be the cheapest and most available. You'll want motor and transmission from the donor vehicle and then an adapter to the LC transfercase (or a 60 series transfercase), and that's about all I know :eek:

:edit: more to the point, seeing as you haven't purchase this broken fj80 yet, I would just not buy it and keep looking for an fzj in working order.

A 4bt and 6bt are the same exact engine less two cylinders. If you don't like the noise of 4bt you certainly won't like the 6bt. The only quiet Cummins is a common rail....

Depends on your intended use for the cruiser. Towing and long overland use is where the cummins will shine. For more hard core wheeling a light weight LS would be my choice.

I would do the ls swap in a heartbeat it fits like a glove easiest swap I've ever done if you want to go to my build thread it's on my home page and if you've got any questions I'll be happy to answer them

The 6bt is way smoother than the 4bt and, depending on the exhaust routing, quieter. That being said, the 6bt is quite heavy.

I would do the ls swap in a heartbeat it fits like a glove easiest swap I've ever done if you want to go to my build thread it's on my home page and if you've got any questions I'll be happy to answer them

Not to hijack, im not finding your build thread got a link to it?

Currently doing a 6.2 LS3 crate engine swap for many of the reasons outlined above - much lighter engine, parts available everywhere in the US, more power (a lot more), better fuel economy, ability to tune for various uses/performance vs towing, and less emissions (15 years of driving the 80 I am aware of the ghastly emissions). Also, truth be told, the GM engine is extremely reliable - will be upgrading gauges for accurate temp monitoring.

Oh and, love the sound of the vette engine...

Pairing with the 4L65E transmission, GM corvette torque converter, Marks 4wd adapter, and some other upgrades. :)

As the owner of a LS2 6 litre swap, the shameless grin that you are constantly blessed with is enough to justify the swap ....in my opinion !! The LS platform also gives you a gazillion options to work with. Twin turbos for me next !

It's just money....

As the owner of a LS2 6 litre swap, the shameless grin that you are constantly blessed with is enough to justify the swap ....in my opinion !! The LS platform also gives you a gazillion options to work with. Twin turbos for me next !

It's just money....

My lq9 with a tune raising it to 420 horsepower 400 pounds of torque I couldn't imagine anything else needed just ungodly and I have my gas pedal fixed so it will only go halfway and it'll jump to 90 miles an hour going down the interstate in a heartbeat but I would do upgrades to the transmission as I would do upgrades to the 4l65 as it did not hold up in Trip low

The 6bt is way smoother than the 4bt and, depending on the exhaust routing, quieter. That being said, the 6bt is quite heavy.

It weighs 190# more than the stock motor

but I would do upgrades to the transmission as I would do upgrades to the 4l65 as it did not hold up in Trip low

What do you mean by "Trip low?"

Also did you use the truck intake or one from a car?

4bt has completely different sound at idle. Like all 4 cylinders a flat crank design is as good as it gets but has some inharent vibration. Once moving down the road 6bt and 4bt have affective the same note and vibration, which is the same as a common rail also. All the fancy common rail is for emissions and idle smoothness. Once underway your getting full fuel and deisel knock
A 4bt and 6bt are the same exact engine less two cylinders. If you don't like the noise of 4bt you certainly won't like the 6bt. The only quiet Cummins is a common rail....

Personally I would have a hard time dumping conversion money into a 80 that old. Even though you will never be able to recoup your investment a newer model with lockers would make more economical sense.

Having driven a 4BT you could not give one for free due to vibs/noise - sorry 4BT guys. 6BT is in a whole different class.

If money is not a concern a LS3 with a 6speed would be a great choice with a ~4.0 1st gear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom