Engine Bay Cleaning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the best way to clean the engine bay on my '11? Can I power wash?
20150526_201247.jpg
After recent trips to Big Bend and a 120 mile rt on the beach, it is messy. In particular, I was to get rid of the salt... Thanks!

Don,t get electronic thingys wet. Double bag with samich bags or simular.

Short answer...yes. Have at it. I wouldnt blast straight into the electrical connections but they are generally pretty water tight. Maintain distance if you are using a real deal power washer. You might pop off that engine cover too. It is just as dirty underneath it.

After you are done, turn on the truck with the hood up....this will blow a bunch of filthy water from the fan back onto the engine!. Then you may want to gently rinse it off again. I made that mistake once. Dried it all off and hit it with a bit of protectant only to have my work ruined when I fired it back up lol .

It is also good to backwash the radiator...lots of muck can build up in there. I like using a right-angle garden sprayer on a long handle for that task.

be VERY careful using a pressure washer or high volume of water near the top of the ignition coils! The rubber washer is not a great seal and water can and will get past them and fill the cylinder above your plug if you blast to hard or with too much water. As the engine goes between hot/cold water will work its way past the plug threads and you can easily end up with mis-fires, flooding, etc. I find it better to use a combo of water/mild soap and compressed air to detail the engine bay. I use less water/soap and then air to finish the job by moving the dirt down and away. it takes a bit longer but reduces the issues sometimes faced when using a pressure washer or even regular pressure water. I know for muddy or heavy dirt more water will be much quicker and easier.... just be careful

Not much to add, but I always leave them running when carefully power washing, using the pre-soak/medium pressure wash and spot free or low pressure rinse.

Maintaining consistency washing at every exterior wash, eventually it'll be clean and easier to maintain, even with the lower pressure settings.

Thanks for the information & suggestions guys... i will try to clean it this weekend. I will be careful with the mentioned items since that is my concern. I messed up my hilux a few years back by using too much pressure and water got in the wrong places

Thanks for the information & suggestions guys... i will try to clean it this weekend. I will be careful with the mentioned items since that is my concern. I messed up my hilux a few years back by using too much pressure and water got in the wrong places

can you post an after pic ... I'm always reluctant to spray water around electronics/connections and accordingly my engine bay's pretty dirty ... if yours turns out nice, maybe I'll take the chance ...

Last edited:
I sprayed down an FJC bay consistently over a four year period, with no ill effects.

Like I say, though, it may be something that's better addressed over time, opposed to bearing down on with high pressure, trying to remove years of neglect.

can you post an after pic ... I'm always reluctant to spray water around electronics/connections and accordingly mine engine bay's pretty dirty ... if yours turns out nice, maybe I'll take the chance ...

Will do Winnie...

I would not use high pressure to wash. What I do is wet down the engine bay, spritz it all with Simple Green, and hose off. Simple Green is environmentally friendly and an excellent degreaser. It's not perfect but it cleans pretty good and I've never had an electrical problem as a result.

^^Agree with the above two. I hit it with simple green, let sit for a few, use regular garden hose, obviously not directing spray on alternator or big connections. I then spray WD-40 on all the electrical connections and use my air compressor to blow the engine dry. My theory is by blowing the WD-40 around the connections, the WD displace any water. After all the WD stands for Water Displacement. Been doing this on my wife's 2002 4runner and all my other vehicles for years and have never had a problem. I sometimes spray tire foam on the engine and wipe up the excess. I h8 working on a dirty engine.:cheers:

I don't think the alternator minds clean water, but anything with a circuit board should be protected.

The WD-40 is a good idea, though not absolutely necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom