Elk crossing at Philmont Ranch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We decided to take a ride through the mountains Sunday afternoon. The trip took us through the Philmont Boy Scout Camp in northern New Mexico.

As we were passing through the upper portions of Philmont we saw a clearing with a huge herd of elk; probably 100 or more. Past this herd was a second herd, probably 70 or more. While taking pictures from the fence line, the closest herd got nervous and decided we posed some threat. They ran parallel to the fence line for about 50 yards, then jumped the fence, crossed the road right in front of us, and jumped another fence, running off into the distance.

Here is a picture of the end of the herd crossing the road.

url]

Cruiser content: I'm glad we didn't meet them crossing the road or Christo's front bumper would have been severely tested.

Disclaimer: A pro would have captured some outstanding images from this opportunity. I'm not a photographer and I know it.

-B-

B -

I had a similar experience last season on the north coast, though this group was clearly not intimidated by the Cruiser.

elk_2.jpg

Cruiser content: Why everyone traveling in large animal country should consider a bullbar...

k_deer_2.jpg

... though not all individuals would respect them, or so it would appear...

R -

-B- Sometimes even a pro can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.
Cruiser content: I had to go through this state to get this photo.

I've had some pretty neat encounters with elk too. Around the end of March the elk heards come down to the lower elevations and the stretch of road between West Yellowstone and Big Sky Montana is always full of them. I always seem to find myself on that stretch around that time of year. One time, I'm thinking it was around '96, I was coming through from Moab to my brother's in Big Sky. It was about 3am and I hadn't seen another vehicle in about an hour. I came around a corner and there standing in and around the road where several hundred elk. At first I was thinking, cool, and watched them for a little bit, while stopped in the road. Then I finally decided to get moving and pulled up really close to the heard. They didn't really move. I should also mention that I was in my Izuzu Trooper, didn't have a cruiser yet. Slowly they opened a small gap and I started to make my way through the heard. About half way through, the elk stopped moving out of my way and had filled back in behind me. I was totaly surrounded. I literally nudged a few elk with by brush guard to get them to move. A couple elk, became irritated and nipped at each other. In the process one was shoved into the side of my little Trooper. I was getting shaken around from the elk bumping into my truck. Eventually I made my way out the other side. Pretty funny.

Cruiser content: I really wished I was in a heavier truck as the elk shoved me around like I was in a toy car. :D That spring I bought an FJ60.

Also on that same stretch last spring in May I was pulled off and taking a nap on the shore of Hepkin Lake, probably a couple of miles up off of the highway. I awoke to a rumbling sound of hooves. The park rangers were hearding the buffalo back towards the park. So there I sat in my Cruiser with buffalo stampeding by. I wish I would've taken a picture of that.

By the way, Beo, if you flyfish, I'd highly recommend the Cimmarron (sp), kind of brushy, but nice rainbow and brown trout. It's right in that neck of the woods.

Cruiser Content: You could drive the landcruiser to get there, it will hold the gear.

-H-

(Thinking of fishing Northern NM, while sitting under flourescent lighting.... ) :'(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom