Electronic F & 2F Distributors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yay!!!

I ordered last weekend and I am really excited for this!

The carb I bought a few months ago is amazing, Cruiser runs great now! Can't wait to get this dizzy, new plugs, wires. Then set the timing for the first time ever:) Should run even better!

Thanks for bringing us all these parts Trollhole! I really appreciate it.

76 fj40. Just got everything hooked up last night and it fired right up, but today it started up fine to set the timing and I shut it off and now nothing. I ohmed out the coil and that seems to be fine. Its just not getting any spark now.

Are you sure it isnt getting any spark? check from the plugs back to ignition to find where the voltage is lost. Fuel in the bowl?

Yep, there's fuel in the bowl and no spark to the plugs. I'm about to get the wife to turn the key for me and check the coil spark the old fashioned way.

When the key is in the "on" postion you should get power to that coil. Sounds like your on the correct trouble shooting path.

I just got it started again. after I set the timing today I thought I would zip tie up the loose wires and clean things up a bit. After I did that is when it wouldn't start. I also noticed I wasn't getting good contact with my ohmmeter when I checked the coil. Well I took a good look at those coil poles and and they were nasty so I cleaned them up and voilà. Thanks for standing by Curt. I was getting worried.

Was everything working before you swapped the dizzy? Maybe some pictures will help to make sure its hooked up alright. Seems to be intermittent which is strange, are you having trouble getting it started while the engine is warm?

well, hot or cold it doesn't matter, it's not firing at all now. I should've listened to my old mans famous words "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I'll post some pics here in a minute of how it's wired now. Other than that, does anyone know how to check an electronic dizzy?

image.jpeg
Ok, so I hope the pic is good. The red wire from the dizzy is at the - side of the resistor With a jumper wire going to the + of coil. The black dizzy wire goes to the - side of coil. Then on the + side of the resistor is the b/y wire from the harness for 12v supply. I'm using the stock coil with everything from the igniter disconnected.

My dizzy want's to see 12v not less. Connect the red wire to the same terminal as the black yellow wire. Only reason you need the ballast resistor is to step down the voltage going to your coil to keep from frying it.

Ok, I don't think I've tried that yet but I will give it a shot. I did however connect the red to + and black to - in order to try leaving the resistor out of the equation.

Ok well I finally swapped the wire like you said and I'm still getting nothing, so I guess either the ignition module is bad or the coil is not jiving with the dizzy.

Just ordered! Can't wait. Edit: need the 2F big cap version. Thanks

Last edited:
When will you have more in stock? Also will I need additional parts if this is what I currently have in place (1977 FJ40, current disti in pics just died).
1023882-26d48a6b5448831ee2fabdd3eef47e87.jpg
1023881-d11ba67c656d9af3fd40eb8081150733.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom