Electrical demons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I bought an FJ60 last summer to use for offroading. I put some new tires on it, and welded the rear end. Other than that I have not done any mods to the vehicle. It is generally in very rough shape, but seems to have a strong engine. The issue that I am having is that I have only taken it out 3 times since buying it, and it will not run for more than 20 minutes before gremlins go crazy and the electrical systems fail. So the first time out I blew a fusible link, after replacing that the next time I fried the ignition coil or igniter (not sure how to isolate as they are one unit) replaced that, and parked her for the winter. Hopped in 2 weeks ago cranked the motor and started right up. We went to go snow wheeling. 10 minutes in I got buried and while trying to get out it overheated (blew out the coolant line to the rear seat heater). So I parked it as it sat and waited for snow to melt to repair the coolant line as shoveling didn't seem like an enjoyable endeavor. So went back to try to move it the other day, and now it won't start. Seems like I am not getting spark again as it cranks, but even the ether bunny won't get her to fire. In the fall I put in all new plugs but not wires, and a used coil/igniter. I have not had time to test systems, and am honestly at the point where I lose motivation. But I am going to give it one more shot. My guess is that I fried the coil again (40 total minutes since installing) I do not have another spare and they dont exist for sale so if that is the case what can I substitute? Does the fusible link failure potentially have anything to do with the ignition? I don't remember the ignition being in that line but can't remember.

Not starting may be related to Electrical but it may be due to other things. See troubleshooting chart below.

New OEM coils are still available for about $60. PN 90919-02113. There are also plenty of aftermarket ones available too for less than $30. Some are dirt cheap. Search.
Since you installed a used coil last time, it can hardly be trusted. Replace it with a new one before proceeding.

A blown fusible link is a red flag as it is a big ass fuse and a major short somewhere in the wiring harness is usually required to melt it. Check it again with a volt/ohm meter to make sure all three leads are sound. If one of the leads is burnt, it could be the one for the ignition.

Check the fuses in the fuse panel in the cab.

Trace the wiring harness back from the battery looking for melted/burned crap. Check the cabling and wires inside the cab looking for burnt wires/connectors.

Alternator voltage regulator (once the engine gets started):
If the alternator regulator is shot, the voltage could rise up beyond 16V and fry things. Check the battery voltage when engine finally gets running. It should be from 13.8 to 14.7 volts depending on the battery discharge level and ambient temp. 14.1V to 14.4V is typical.

At least that's a start...

tbl-shoot.jpg

So I bought an FJ60 last summer to use for offroading. I put some new tires on it, and welded the rear end. Other than that I have not done any mods to the vehicle. It is generally in very rough shape, but seems to have a strong engine. The issue that I am having is that I have only taken it out 3 times since buying it, and it will not run for more than 20 minutes before gremlins go crazy and the electrical systems fail. So the first time out I blew a fusible link, after replacing that the next time I fried the ignition coil or igniter (not sure how to isolate as they are one unit) replaced that, and parked her for the winter. Hopped in 2 weeks ago cranked the motor and started right up. We went to go snow wheeling. 10 minutes in I got buried and while trying to get out it overheated (blew out the coolant line to the rear seat heater). So I parked it as it sat and waited for snow to melt to repair the coolant line as shoveling didn't seem like an enjoyable endeavor. So went back to try to move it the other day, and now it won't start. Seems like I am not getting spark again as it cranks, but even the ether bunny won't get her to fire. In the fall I put in all new plugs but not wires, and a used coil/igniter. I have not had time to test systems, and am honestly at the point where I lose motivation. But I am going to give it one more shot. My guess is that I fried the coil again (40 total minutes since installing) I do not have another spare and they dont exist for sale so if that is the case what can I substitute? Does the fusible link failure potentially have anything to do with the ignition? I don't remember the ignition being in that line but can't remember.
How's the troubleshooting going, Keith?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom