Electric fan suggestion for FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if someone could suggest an electric fan for my pig? I have a TBI 350 and want to make sure the cooling is efficient. Radiator suggestions would also be great....

Doug

Most guys use a Ford Taurus fan.

I believe the years are 90-95.

My brother did this in his Dodge, but he used a Lincoln mark VIII fan, which is supposed to be a bit more powerful, I dunno...

I don't have a specific fan to recommend for a cruiser, however years ago I installed a JC Whitney model in an old Chevrolet truck after an I6 - V8 engine swap (V8 was too short to efficiently pull air through the radiator, probably the same problem you are having). I attached it to a toggle switch in the cab so that I could decide when to run the fan during the winter, etc.

Anyway, that fan did a ridiculously good job of pulling air through the radiator, and when I sold the truck 10+ years later it was still working like a champ. My point: the JC Whitney model might seem cheap but I had a good experience. You probably just need to match dimensions for your application.

I have a slim fan electric pusher fan in front of the radiator and the OEM 2F plastic fan - set-up works well in Arizona heat

I have a 350 with a 4 core aluminum radiator which has two Derale electric fans. OLne kicks on at 195 degree and the other at 220. I never run over 220 and majority of the time around 200 or 210.

This is what I came up with after seeing what Profitts set up looked like. The fan used to be attached straight to the radiator 350 mild build was running 210-20 on a hot day. Now won't go over 205. Radiotor is from champion.
image-1944754429.jpg

This is what I came up with after seeing what Profitts set up looked like. The fan used to be attached straight to the radiator 350 mild build was running 210-20 on a hot day. Now won't go over 205. Radiotor is from champion.
View attachment 545660
Hi Aaron,
I know it's long time ago...but which fan did you use? Thanks

I use the two speed Taurus fan bolts up to the radiator mount perfectly. Cools great too.
Thanks for your reply. I had a challenge since I'm very limited on depth of fan (installed VintageAir a/c with condenser and double pulleys). Anyway, I had a breakthrough today - I found that the Fiat Abarth 595 fan with some cutting of "ears" fits very well and cool the engine with A/C on perfectly. I suffered long time from overheating when in traffic on a hot day with a/c on....
Attached some pictures of the installation and original picture of the fan....hope it helps someone.
Thanks again for the useful info in this thread.

IMG-20200531-WA0016.jpeg

IMG-20200531-WA0022.jpeg

IMG-20200531-WA0025.jpeg

Champion 4 Core radiator MC180 22"x22.13" x 2.75"
I have a Derale 2 stage fan 16822 in a shroud that does a good job keeping temps down. Especially now that I have the timing not advanced too much.

Champion 4 Core radiator MC180 22"x22.13" x 2.75"
I have a Derale 2 stage fan 16822 in a shroud that does a good job keeping temps down. Especially now that I have the timing not advanced too much.
Do you have air condition installed?

No AC installed. Although I do have an AC compressor that came with the vehicle that had previously been used for on board air.

No AC installed. Although I do have an AC compressor that came with the vehicle that had previously been used for on board air.
Thanks. The reason I asked is because there are 2 issues when ac installed:
1. The condenser in front of the radiator cause a limited space between the back of the radiator to the double water pump pulley.
2. When ac on the condenser create heat in addition to the radiator heat - meaning more heat disposal is needed.

So for those that have the vintage air ac installed there is a challenge to find a high output electric fan with relatively low profile (my space is around 2.75 inch)

Thanks. You said you are using the taurus 2 speed fan - do you know which model it is (which taurus years) and what its thickness is?
Hey buddy, incase it helps. I've run two junkyard pulled, Taurus fans, over the years. They each went bad after a couple years. Last time I decided to try a new aftermarket Taurus fan and had good luck. I found this one on Rockauto. It's VDO, 80 bucks, appears to be well made, and has been working great for the last couple years. IMHO this is a better route to go instead of using a junkyard pulloff fan.
VDO FA70113

edit, ..this fan comes with the female side of the electrical connector but not the male. So you'd need to either splice the wires or find a Ford male fan connector.

Hey buddy, incase it helps. I've run two junkyard pulled, Taurus fans, over the years. They each went bad after a couple years. Last time I decided to try a new aftermarket Taurus fan and had good luck. I found this one on Rockauto. It's VDO, 80 bucks, appears to be well made, and has been working great for the last couple years. IMHO this is a better route to go instead of using a junkyard pulloff fan.
VDO FA70113

edit, ..this fan comes with the female side of the electrical connector but not the male. So you'd need to either splice the wires or find a Ford male fan connector.
Thanks for the info Brian. If this is a 1995 Taurus assembly, I saw it at the importer warehouse and it's very deep....won't fit my space between the radiator and water pump pulley....please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom