Easy and cheap liftgate support swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The weather is turning cold which means the original liftgate supports on my '94 are useless. I've gotten hit in the head plenty of times and after trying some jerry rigged options (bungie cords), I decided to replace the supports.

As I'm sure y'all know, the OEM Toyota lifts are $100+ EACH, so not doing that. I found a pair on eBay for just under $28 shipped from Wisconsin Auto Supply. At that price I figured it's worth the risk if they don't fit or work.

I'm happy to say they work great! Some advice for those wanting to do this:

- find a good support to hold the liftgate as high as it will go; for the first one I used a broom handle which didn't work so well and my wife and kid found it to heavy to hold for too long; for the second one I used a ladder and a crutch, worked great

- you'll need a 10mm socket and wrench; the second from the bottom bolt is the trickiest, very tight space

The supports are strong enough that they not only hold up the hatch but lift it all the way up almost immediately after opening, very nice!

View attachment 1168154
uploadfromtaptalk1448728885033.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1448728862736.jpg

All the non-OEM lift supports work fine at first.

Let me know how they are working a year from now and then we'll talk. I believe I have a set of those lift supports in the trash at home as they lasted all of about 3 months.

Instead of propping up the tailgate, do one side at a time and use a vice grip like so:

lift support2.jpg

Also, if you do the gate side first, you have all the clearance in the world once you pivot the lift support down. It gives you free and easy access to that "second from bottom" bolt.

Lift Supports Depot ones have been good for a year now. Even holds up the hatch with my ladder attached and an empty trasharoo. Loaded trasharoo, thats another story. I don't know what could keep that up. I've heard guys make a cut lengthwise in some 1" PVC and fit that around the inner shaft for a cheap, definite hatch lift.

I used the same pair of struts for about the same price about one year ago. Still working well. I took the chance and so far it is paying off for me. I didn't even know the oem struts are 200 a pair! ....this is where one may insert an imoge (not sure how to spell that), but i don't

Jason, Put me down for a set. Mine are still "ok" but drop down a little bit. It's winter and I like my face with only a few scars.

Will do senor!

Will do senor!

If you are sending out notices when you have them in stock, add me to the list. Mine have had the winter let down for a few years now.

If you are sending out notices when you have them in stock, add me to the list. Mine have had the winter let down for a few years now.

I sent Jason a conversation. That's how I've always done things with him. Include your email address and then he sends an invoice. Works how it should...Simple.

Are they in yet @arcteryx?!?!?! It's Tuesday!! TAKE MY MONEY!! :)

Awesome! And the 93-97 battery tray too. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom