Early Spare Tire Carrier Bushings - Brass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am selling early spare tire carrier bushing made out of brass. They fit all tire carriers from mid-1971 through 7/1976 when Toyota changed over to the tubular carrier. These are a very tight fit, if your carrier bolts are very rusted or have multiple layers of paint, you may have trouble getting the bushings to fit.

See the following thread for a review of the prototypes by a mud member...

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/brass-bushings-tire-carrier.808508/

One set includes 4 bushings. I have 44 sets available.

$40 shipped to the lower 48. International shipping available, just PM me.

Send payment to cruiserbits @ gmail.com

Posing with the original plastic bushing
image.jpg
image.jpg

Size compared to door hinge bushing
image.jpg

Last edited:
sweet! i counted around 10 that said they were interested in the other thread... hopefully they will chime in. I feel like this is one of those random things SOR would love to have in their catalog

I talked with SOR, they're not interested at this time.

All four orders have shipped. Keep them coming!

So it looks like these are a dud. Spring sale time...

Reduced to $30 per set shipped. I have about 25 sets left.

Labor Day sale $21 per set shipped! Only 20 sets left. Get them while you can as this was a one time effort.

This is WELL worth doing.

I turned new bushings for my trucks from bronze on my manual lathe at least ten years ago and they show no sign of wear or slop today.

Manual machining is a time consuming thing, big time, so if I'd wanted to be charging to make these for folks back then I doubt I could have made a dime even at the then relatively low prices for bronze stock. With the costs for bronze today I'd be losing money on every bushing.

So if I needed any now I'd be grabbing them at these prices and feel like I was stealing from him.

BTW, SouthBoston, my trucks are a '65 that would use your carrier bushings as well as the later models you list, and a '77 with the tubular carrier which uses bushings in a similar configuration but a different size. So if you decide to do more you could expand your market to include all years of FJ40 by making the later model's setup sizes. Sorry I can't rattle off the specs. for you - my memory's nowhere near good enough for that. My drawings might be somewhere here but I know I never used a way to put them on disc back then. Should have, for more things than this.

Last edited:
I would LOVE to have these. Anyone coming to Guatemala anytime soon? ;)