1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early model brakes

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by landcruiser, Jan 26, 2003.

1. landcruiser

landcruiser

Has anyone here converted the ealry model single circuit brake master cylinder to a later model dual master cylinder? Is this a bolt on proposition with the exception of line re-routing and which master cylinder would you recommend?

2. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    Unless you are updating to disc brakes at the same time, you'll need a drum master to keep the residual valve. 74-75 Cruisers were the last two years for drums and I would think that would be your best choice for doners.

I don't forsee any connectin problems.....I have heard that running a booster/master may interfere with your carb/air cleaner assembly on some earlier setups tho, so make sure you have room.

3. plan66

plan66

When I did the brakes on my '66, I used a 70's Ford drum brake master cylinder. I still have the drum brakes, but it should be possible to remove the residual pressure valve if/when I go to disks. Biggest problem; the cylinders one inch bore makes for VERY heavy pedal effort. No booster, but it'll still lock em up :D. I just didn't want to mess up my firewall, but if you can use one of those spacers to get the booster to clear the rib, might be the way to go.

Cheers
    Martin